Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Slingplayer no long supported

Jump to solution

This sucks big time.  The investment community should know that you do not stand behind your products.  I'm going to start posting on Delivering alpha and other boards.  I think marketwatch will be interested.  You made everyone with slingboxes an enemy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@Anonymous wrote:

This sucks big time.  The investment community should know that you do not stand behind your products.  I'm going to start posting on Delivering alpha and other boards.  I think marketwatch will be interested.  You made everyone with slingboxes an enemy.

That comment needs to be directed at Sling, not Roku. Sling made the decision to no longer support the Roku platform. Was it because Roku changed something they didn't like? Perhaps. But it's still on Sling for walking away from their customer base. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution

Slingboxes still work with Fire TV and handheld Android devices.

Roku changed lots of stuff (see previous posts), requiring major changes (password centralization, ad tracking, etc.) that would impact far better staffed companies than Sling (and there's probably a limit to what Sling can do to upgrade the capabilities of our years-old Slingboxes sitting in our living rooms).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Boz
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Anonymous wrote:

It appears that you're talking to Slingbox, but this is a Roku forum.  Since Slingbox didn't update the Slingbox app to meet the new Roku requirements, and it's not likely Slingbox reads this forum, you probably need to address your concern about Slingbox not updating the Slingbox Roku app with Slingbox directly.

0 Kudos
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Boz wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It appears that you're talking to Slingbox, but this is a Roku forum.  Since Slingbox didn't update the Slingbox app to meet the new Roku requirements, and it's not likely Slingbox reads this forum, you probably need to address your concern about Slingbox not updating the Slingbox Roku app with Slingbox directly.

No, I don't think that is where his comment is directed, and I suspect he is in the right place.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RnAInSA
Level 7

Jump to solution

Come on guys, its the same thing over and over and over.

First it was albums, then 8-tracks, whoa recordable 8-tracks!  Huh, whats this? A cassette tape?! Man, we can carry twice as many! I have brief cases full!  Wait, Compact Disc!!  Man, stacks of CD’s!  100’s, even rewritable.

Does anyone with a vehicle made within the last 5yrs have a CD player.

This too shall pass.  Along with the Sling and Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mayfair
Level 7

Jump to solution

Very disappointed with Roku not supporting SlingPlayer. 

My Roku player now becomes a worthless piece of junk along with the old Android boxes. 

I will now have to change my TV to a Smart TV oh well nothing lasts forever 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@Mayfair wrote:

My Roku player now becomes a worthless piece of junk along with the old Android boxes. 

You have it backwards. It's not that Roku doesn't support Slingplayer, it's that Sling dropped their support for Roku. I'm sure Roku would love to still have a working app for Sling, but they have no control over a company deciding what players to support. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@Mayfair wrote:

You have it backwards. It's not that Roku doesn't support Slingplayer, it's that Sling dropped their support for Roku. I'm sure Roku would love to still have a working app for Sling, but they have no control over a company deciding what players to support. 

Not backwards, but it's more subtle than either company explicitly dropping support for the other.

Roku makes periodic changes to their channel requirements. Those changes are very central to their business model and impact their business partners (such as advertising businesses that they share revenue with), their channel providers, and their customer end users. Being so central to their success, one can only presume that they not just carefully investigate and deliberate such change impacts in advance, but they also reach out to their channel partners to work out the impact feasibility of such changes, so that they have a good idea beforehand as to which channel providers are going to be impacted the most. But in the end, after presumably much deliberation, they make those requirements changes unilaterally.

Slingboxes are no longer being manufactured, and everyone who even catches a bit of occasional industry news knows that there is no longer any engineering or customer support left at Sling for them. Slingbox functionality (which is what us purchasers depend on) is dependent on a minimum of change. As long as their basic server which provides Slingbox IP addresses to our remote viewers (whatever and wherever they might be), and the receiving protocols of those viewers match up to the basic capabilities of those Slingboxes in our living room, Slingbox remote viewing continues to work. Change the protocol requirements, require password centralization (which appears to one of Roku's recent changes), or other such infrastructure changes, and Slingboxes stop working. Almost any major change by Roku likely would kill off the Slingplayer channel on the Roku device. Stability is what is keeping Slingbox viewing on life support.

Roku adds requirements, changes requirements, and makes exclusions to requirements, and if a channel partner (or class of partners) mattered enough to them, they would either make exclusions (which they have done, see their requirements specs) or negotiate such changes to allow service to continue. Clearly, with Sling, this fell through, and Sling had to bow out. Why? Perhaps negotiations fell through (that happens). Perhaps the Slingbox support staff is too decimated to handle the level of changes required by Roku. Perhaps it's the fact that the channel transmitter is not some corporate owned central server, but rather thousands of increasing old and limited customer purchased boxes sitting in their living rooms, and those are limited in capability and changeability.

It's hard to say whether Sling could have met the changing requirements (it seems unlikely, but, if you want to blame Sling, it sits here), or whether Roku just didn't care enough to minimize the impact on Sling and it's Slingbox customers (or had other priorities), and wasn't/isn't willing to provide an exclusion (then blame Roku). 

Highlighted
ilikeike
Level 7

Jump to solution

Have read many comments and I think I understand.  The question I have is did Echostar(Owner of Slingbox) "try" to support the Roku platform changes? did Echostart try to negotiate a period of time Roku could have offered backward compatibility to allow Echostar to make the changes?  Was Roku reasonable in any negotiations?  Not sure we will know but it feels like a situation where Echostar has stopped putting money into the Slingbox product and trying to ride the revenue stream for new sales until it peters out.....

0 Kudos