Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blasterdaddy
Level 9

Re: Slingplayer no long supported

Jump to solution

OK people,

I'm going to say it.  Its been two months, Neither Sling (probably because they don't care or even know of the issue), and Roku are going to bring back the channel.

Don't get mad, stop writing HATE posts to Roku.  Go buy yourself an Amazon stick and let the issue die.

The folks who do not use Slingbox (I still use it via a PC), and have a Roku really could care less.  The folks who already have a Amazon stick don't care. I DON'T CARE. 

BUY AN AMAZON FIRE STICK PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.  p.s. How much do you want for your Roku.

Robert

Highlighted
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution

@blasterdaddy wrote:

OK people,

I'm going to say it.  Its been two months, Neither Sling (probably because they don't care or even know of the issue), and Roku are going to bring back the channel.

Don't get mad, stop writing HATE posts to Roku.  Go buy yourself an Amazon stick and let the issue die.

The folks who do not use Slingbox (I still use it via a PC), and have a Roku really could care less.  The folks who already have a Amazon stick don't care. I DON'T CARE. 

BUY AN AMAZON FIRE STICK PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.  p.s. How much do you want for your Roku.

Robert

Hate to say it, but I generally agree with Robert.

Roku "ain't goin back to the ol' Sling days", probably could, but either they don't care, or it's just not in their financial interest. They make the rules, they change the rules, ... . (Also looks like they 'disposed' of the SyFy channel, among others, too, so ... .) Just sad.

Sling probably can't, not just from lack of company resources, but probably also due to the electronic transmission and update limitations of those old Slingboxes (that we all individually paid for and own) that go back years (CPU, memory, firmware upgrades).

But hey, the Fire TVs and handheld Android (and Kindle) devices haven't changed and still work!

So, there we are. Go buy a Fire TV, or whatever, and give up on Roku. Frappppp!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution

@rj0 wrote:

@blasterdaddy wrote:

OK people,

Robert

Roku "ain't goin back to the ol' Sling days", probably could, but either they don't care, or it's just not in their financial interest. They make the rules, they change the rules, ... . (Also looks like they 'disposed' of the SyFy channel, among others, too, so ... .) Just sad.

Sling probably can't, not just from lack of company resources, but probably also due to the electronic transmission and update limitations of those old Slingboxes (that we all individually paid for and own) that go back years (CPU, memory, firmware upgrades).

But hey, the Fire TVs and handheld Android (and Kindle) devices haven't changed and still work!

And I really hate to say all of that, because I've been on-board with Roku since their SoundBridge years.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
alegs3
Level 7

Jump to solution

It is not the channel.. the entire ROKU not a choice to send any TV channels too be viewed????

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Boz
Level 10

Jump to solution

@rj0 wrote:

@rj0 wrote:

@blasterdaddy wrote:

OK people,

Robert

And I really hate to say all of that, because I've been on-board with Roku since their SoundBridge years.

What does "(Also looks like they 'disposed' of the SyFy channel, among others, too, so ... .)" mean?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Boz
Level 10

Jump to solution

@alegs3 wrote:

It is not the channel.. the entire ROKU not a choice to send any TV channels too be viewed????

Huh?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Steve24
Level 8

Jump to solution

Like others I was surprised when the Slingplayer APP disappeared from the ROKU channel store.  Surprised and disappointed

The “solution” for me is to use another device, my Firestick 4K.  There is a Slingplayer channel/APP in the Firestick channel store

While I prefer the ROKU UI over the Firestick, there have been times when I have needed both devices to enable watching the content I desire.  The recent issues accessing NETFLIX on my Ultra is another example - NETFLIX works just fine on my Firestick 4K

0 Kudos
Highlighted
JACoats
Level 8

Jump to solution
Has anyone one else notices that roku is no longer an option for casting from the SlingPlayer iPhone app? There have been a couple times when I have started the app and had to resign in like it was new it a new version and the roku option is gone. I’m just wondering why if the sling people could have their engineers change the app to remove the roku option why not just fix it to work with roku ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution

@JACoats wrote:
Has anyone one else notices that roku is no longer an option for casting from the SlingPlayer iPhone app? There have been a couple times when I have started the app and had to resign in like it was new it a new version and the roku option is gone. I’m just wondering why if the sling people could have their engineers change the app to remove the roku option why not just fix it to work with roku ?

If by casting, you mean selecting an icon that transferred the video to the Slingplayer channel on the Roku, then they probably just deleted the icon to prevent the disappointment of it failing because there is no longer a Slingplayer channel any more on the Roku. Probably took like deleting something like 3 lines of code from the app. That's a long way from supporting a stack of new capabilities on Roku's channel system (for updates of requirements on Roku channels, see the Roku Developer Blog and Roku Developer Docs).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
JACoats
Level 8

Jump to solution
Oh ok. I guess I just assumed that there was nobody left at Sling who was going to anything with that app.
0 Kudos