Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Slingplayer no long supported

Jump to solution

@randylue wrote:

I've been monitoring this topic from almost the beginning.  We are all very frustrated, almost exasperated because Roku does not and likely never will work with our Slingboxes again.  I'm just a user, not an expert, but in my opinion this is not Roku's fault.  My understanding is that it requires content providers to provide apps to run on it.  My feeling is that Slingbox decided not to update their app and, as a result, here we are. 

Where we are is that we all have a Slingboxes that we use in a number of ways.  There are Slingbox alternatives but, frankly, none of them work as well as Slingbox overall.  Same goes for Roku.  It "was" the best solution to allow us to cast our Slingbox to a TV and then have our phone or tablet available to use.  It was great, the operative word being "was".

I did purchase a Firestick, but I returned it.  It was bigger and heavier than Roku.  It still required an App to use.  It works now, but who knows for how long.  Frankly, the thing that bothered me most was that the USB port of my TV did not provide enough juice to the Firestick to make it work properly and I really didn't want to carry another transformer around with me; more bulk, more weight, more stuff to leave in a hotel room.  Right?

So, I went to eBay and purchase a Gen 1 Chromecast.  It's small.  It's cheap.  There is no App required.  It's much better than Miracast.  It works with most any USB port and, guess what?  It works GREAT with my Slingbox.  Problem solved, at least for now.

My next step, BTW, is to go back to eBay and sell my Roku sticks.  Sorry Roku, but without Slingbox, I'm just not interested.

Chromecast looks like an interesting option. Will keep it in mind for the future. Glad to hear!

Unfortunately, my Roku 2 XS didn't provide screen mirroring.

My Fire TV box does, but the picture is pretty dismal compared to using the (lost) Roku Slingchannel app or the Fire TV Slingchannel, and keeping the device screen active for screen mirroring drains the battery quickly.

As for the changes that Sling would have needed to retain the Slingplayer channel on Roku, Roku layered on a bunch of new requirements that Sling very likely could not meet. I think Sling just gave up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I agree with both statements here, except one.

Roku layered on a bunch of new requirements that Sling very likely could not meet. I think Sling just gave up.

I really doubt this is the case, my experience with the Slingbox and AirTV EQUIPMENT, has been great, unfortunately working with the Sling Folks, has been a nightmare, if you actually get to work with anyone.  I also heard that the employees who were responsible for the Slingbox are LONGGGGG GONE.  Slingbox used to have an active forum with tons of information, rather than archive it for future use, they just deleted it all and took the forums offline. 

Maybe thats why this discussion is on the Roku forum, because Sling does not have one.  Their Community Link on their page has not worked for years.  Their facebook page is still up but has not been updated since September of 2018.  Maybe we should move this Complaining over to that forum rather than clog up Rokus Forum.

As a matter of fact I will post something out there right now complaining.

Robert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@blasterdaddy wrote:

Roku layered on a bunch of new requirements that Sling very likely could not meet. I think Sling just gave up.

I really doubt this is the case, my experience with the Slingbox and AirTV EQUIPMENT, has been great, unfortunately working with the Sling Folks, has been a nightmare, if you actually get to work with anyone.  I also heard that the employees who were responsible for the Slingbox are LONGGGGG GONE.  Slingbox used to have an active forum with tons of information, rather than archive it for future use, they just deleted it all and took the forums offline. 

Maybe thats why this discussion is on the Roku forum, because Sling does not have one.  Their Community Link on their page has not worked for years.  Their facebook page is still up but has not been updated since September of 2018.  Maybe we should move this Complaining over to that forum rather than clog up Rokus Forum.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Go to blog.roku.com/developer and look over the number of new requirements that have have been added (including password/data centralization, and ad supported requirement agreements, like with Innovid), not just recently, but ongoing for years. As a non-revenue producing channel, Sling avoided most of these changes/requirements. Apparently, Roku added something that even non-revenue producing channels couldn't avoid, and that resulted in a bunch of retroactive requirements/changes. I've gone through the Roku developer requirements, and there are statements like " all new and updated channels must support". Those are retroactive requirements that hit any channel that suddenly needs to update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@blasterdaddy wrote:

Robert

Totally agree with you (and others), that Sling has almost completely bailed on Slingbox (probably wasn't enough new sales to continue), and associated user support (pretty much history). Combine that with engineers "long gone", and I can see where any new major requirements on Slingplayer channels (on Roku, Fire TV etc.) are essentially hopeless, and will result in lost box support. (My Slingbox Classic was still being used a year or two ago, so stability is what kept them going, along with their continuation of the Sling server). Any significant change by Roku, requiring major changes by Sling, was going to kill off the Slingplayer channel with almost absolute certainty (but that just emphasizes that those changes and decisions came from Roku, not Sling).

Down the line, will continue to search for remote viewing alternatives, and certainly do appreciate your info on Chromecast.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
I agree thats slings non participation on this or otherwise platforms. Is. Signal to their customer service . NOT
Great hardware slingbox . But the software world overtook you. . It appears Sling Channel was the business plan . But why go in to an overloaded market rather than a predictable market. WheN you had. A market advantage . But what do I know about business ? 45 years in mngnt. Must Be more to story
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Unacceptable, your device is now useless

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

@jscomputerdad wrote:

Unacceptable, your device is now useless

That's a completely ignorant statement! No matter which device you're talking about, it's WRONG. Despite this change, no matter HOW you look at it objectively, NEITHER "device is now useless"!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
What this says is it is entirely a ROKU programming issue that causes the problem. Not a Slingbox issue.

ROKU should fix this or expect to lose a lot of customers.

I see on the Roku device both SlingTV and Sling Player are shown as available -

Apple Firestick and Chromecast are much slower than ROKU. Compared to my cable broadcast - ROKU has about a 4 second delay. Chromecast and Fire Stick (both the newest versions of Hardware, firmware and operating system) have delays of 30 to 40 seconds. (SlingPlayer to above devices vs live tv)

ROKU needs to fix what they broke. Sling Player has not changed and only slingtv would say to stop a channel. Player and TV are now separate companies.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Slingbox said that Roku did  firmware update on September 23; do you plan to fix this issue?  Slingbox said that it still works with Amazon Fire devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@Taloeppke wrote:
What this says is it is entirely a ROKU programming issue that causes the problem. Not a Slingbox issue.

ROKU should fix this or expect to lose a lot of customers.

You can say it all you want but it doesn't make it true. Roku updated their firmware and channel providers needed to update their channel to be compliant. Sling made the decision to not update the channel and asked Roku to remove it. It's all a Sling decision, not Roku.

Now was the change that Roku made really something that had to be done? We have no idea, and Sling won't say why they pulled their support. But bottom line, it was Sling that dropped Roku, not the other way around. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.