Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Slingplayer no long supported

Jump to solution
I have tried both fire stick and Apple TV to play my slingbox stream and both work . At least for now . Prefer apple but that is my device match . Fire stick quality lower . But it’s early days .will test the Apple TV in 2 weeks from far away from slingbox and we will see.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I have two Firesticks, and 3 Rokus.  You are correct Firestick works great with Slingbox.  I don't own any Apple Products so I cant compare the two.  I never did like the Slingbox Interface to Roku in the first place so never really used it.  I primarily Stream my Slingbox to my Laptop. 

Right now both Firesticks are in a drawer not being used (don't like the Amazon Interface). 

Robert

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

I need to cast to large screen so laptop not a good option for me.  I had no issued with ROKU and it always worked seamlessly.  I have no fire stick experience but will investigate.  I would hate to buy more hardware and have it decommit to Slingbox.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, you may have to move to an Amazon FireStick.  And use it until Sling decides to eliminate the channel via the FireStick.  The Firestick works ok, but it is 100 times easier to use with Slingbox than the Roku is.  The Roku you needed your phone or tablet to cast to the Roku Channel.  With the Firestick you set it up to login to your Slingbox.

You can get a Firestick on ebay for 25.00 US. free shipping.  I know, having to to buy a new device to support an old device is a pain, and your not sure if Sling will drop the channel on the Firestick in the future.

Old technology like the Slingbox is great, until something stops working.  Lucky for me I have several Slingboxes.  I have a CD Changer Hardware/Software combo from Nirvis that was discontinued in 2004.  I was lucky to purchase a backup unit incase the original unit fails.  I am stuck at Win7 as some of the features of the controlling software are broke in Windows 10.

Ahhh the ever advancing march of technology.........

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Slingplayer channel no longer supported

Jump to solution

@rj0 wrote:
OK, new Fire TV box, and a newer Slingbox to work with it. Took longer to setup, due to needing some extra connection equipment. Slingplayer Channel comes up fine on Fire TV at home. Traveling soon, so I'll have more idea soon on how well it works remotely. Noticed that Roku and Innovid (ad marketing and measurements) also had some announcements on Sept. 23.

Travel postponed for a bit.

So I bought a second Fire TV (a 4K for home, and a standard Fire TV box for travel).

I could have opted for the less expensive Fire TV Stick, but the cost of the boxes (which are 1-time costs) is far less important to me than the loss of Slingbox access (an ongoing $200+/month loss).  Easy decision.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

An FYI to Amazon Prime members.  I went to order the 4K Fire stick yesterday and in the checkout window they offered (one per member account) a 50% discount, so my net price was $25.  That was amazing.  The discount is not mentioned until you go to check out.  I guess Amazon is pushing more users?  I hope it works well.  Thanks for the advice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I've been monitoring this topic from almost the beginning.  We are all very frustrated, almost exasperated because Roku does not and likely never will work with our Slingboxes again.  I'm just a user, not an expert, but in my opinion this is not Roku's fault.  My understanding is that it requires content providers to provide apps to run on it.  My feeling is that Slingbox decided not to update their app and, as a result, here we are. 

Where we are is that we all have a Slingboxes that we use in a number of ways.  There are Slingbox alternatives but, frankly, none of them work as well as Slingbox overall.  Same goes for Roku.  It "was" the best solution to allow us to cast our Slingbox to a TV and then have our phone or tablet available to use.  It was great, the operative word being "was".

I did purchase a Firestick, but I returned it.  It was bigger and heavier than Roku.  It still required an App to use.  It works now, but who knows for how long.  Frankly, the thing that bothered me most was that the USB port of my TV did not provide enough juice to the Firestick to make it work properly and I really didn't want to carry another transformer around with me; more bulk, more weight, more stuff to leave in a hotel room.  Right?

So, I went to eBay and purchase a Gen 1 Chromecast.  It's small.  It's cheap.  There is no App required.  It's much better than Miracast.  It works with most any USB port and, guess what?  It works GREAT with my Slingbox.  Problem solved, at least for now.

My next step, BTW, is to go back to eBay and sell my Roku sticks.  Sorry Roku, but without Slingbox, I'm just not interested.

Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@randylue wrote:

So, I went to eBay and purchase a Gen 1 Chromecast.  It's small.  It's cheap.  There is no App required.  It's much better than Miracast.  It works with most any USB port and, guess what?  It works GREAT with my Slingbox.  Problem solved, at least for now.

How does a Chromecast work without an app? Or do you mean that there's no specific app, and you just cast from another device. For me, that's much worse than using a Roku or Fire TV. I don't want to mess with my phone or tablet to use something. Just give me a dedicated remote that I can control while lying in my hotel bed. 

I do feel bad for all the Sling customers that have been left with hardware they no longer can use. I hope you all are bombarding Sling as hard as some people have done here. Only Sling can decide to continue supporting Roku players. It seems very short-sighted to me, but it's their business. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Chromecast dose not have any "apps".  It's, essentially, just a communications protocol that allows Android devices to communicate with it and, in the case of Sling, to display its contents on another device like a TV.  Miracast, which is native to Roku, will do this as well.  So, you can still use Miracast and a Roku stick to watch Sling on your TV.  The problem with Miracast is that is continuously displays what is on your phone, or whatever device you are casting from, which is the downside of that protocol.  Because, if I want to use my phone for any other purpose, like make a phone call, then the phone is going to show up on my TV.  If my phone's screen goes blank, so does my TV.  So, Miracast works, but it has some real shortcomings.  The biggest being that it drains my phone's battery the entire time it's running.

Chromecast is different, in that once it makes a connection between the phone and the Chromecast device, it a passes off most of the load to the device, freeing up my phone to do whatever I want and saving my battery.  This is exactly how the Roku stick used to work when the Sling App was working.

I'm grateful that the Chromecast does work and it works well.  It does everything for Sling that my Roku used to do, plus, it's smaller and does not need a remote.  It's a very good solution for we Sling enthusiasts ....for now.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
I don’t understand all this at all. When the Slingbox and roku no longer worked I immediately got a firestick which works far better than the sling chromecast ever did for me. The difference is with the Firestick is you need no other device to relay the sling stream to the Firestick. It natively handles the sling stream just like a pc or a phone or a laptop would. The remote even works!! I’m just sorry I used rokus for so long. The only negative I can see is that the Firestick does not have a spectrum app like Roku does. Waiting for that. I’m thrilled with my new Firestick and would recommend it to anyone who is looking to replace their Roku. Miracast ? Forget it. Chromecast... no way. Get yourself a Firestick and wonder why you didn’t before.
0 Kudos