Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Slingplayer no long supported

Jump to solution

I hate to voice this, but lets face it folks, Slingboxes are old technology, and sooner or later were going to go away.  I would be surprised if it lasts on the FireStick. 

I used the slingbox player on roku very little.  1. because it was so bad, and 2, I tended to timeshift view programming on a PC and not in front of my TV.  I would rarely watch it on Roku, but hated the interface, Sent a couple of emails to Sling to upgrade the app, and you guessed it, NO RESPONSE.

So, if you positively have to use your Slingbox, and view it on a TV, YOU MUST GET A FIRESTICK.  YOU WILL NEVER EVER EVER GET THE CHANNEL BACK. 

I actually find it easier to hook up my laptop to the TV bring up the app and stream from the PC to the TV. 

Robert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Shame on you: Slingplayer no long supported

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@ThanksRopu wrote:

How unfair and deceptive to advertise these features then pull the plug after people save up and buy these devices!

You should refund everyone that produces a receipt. ..and stop pointing fingers Roku <-> Slingbox.

Way to trash your consumer confidence. Was singing praises about both companies until this.

Hopefully some consumer protection division notices this like they have other instances - resulting in big fines for you. Can't hide behind a EULA when you do this.

Only chance to save this chunk of your customer base is restoring the channel and big fat apology

You can complain here until the cows come home. This was 100% a Sling event. Roku is required to honor a request of a channel provider to remove the channel. Sling, and only Sling, is responsible for its removal. Even if Roku had left the channel in place, they've already stopped its functionality, so regardless of the channel being there or not, it won't work if Sling stops supporting it. They are the content provider, and it is under their complete control. All Roku can do is attempt to get them to change their minds. Maybe they are doing that now, who knows. But don't blame Roku. Put your anger where it belongs, on the content provider, Sling. 

Hi, Dan,

You don't seem to be too bothered by the removal of the SlingPlayer channel.

How have you dealt with it?

Hasn't that caused you some grief as well?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@rj0 wrote:

Hi, Dan,

You don't seem to be too bothered by the removal of the SlingPlayer channel.

How have you dealt with it?

Hasn't that caused you some grief as well?

None for me. I've never used a Sling product. I have a HTPC that does the OTA recording I want, and then I edit the commercials out with VideoReDo. My media is stored on a PC running both Plex and Serviio, and I use them to access my media when traveling or at home. Plex is great for when I travel, as my Roku Stick can connect to the hotel wireless and access Plex. At home Serviio uses DLNA to stream to any of my smart devices. 

But even if I did use a Sling product, Roku isn't who I'd be complaining to. Roku has no control over how a provider serves their customers, and their agreement with providers is that they will remove their product on request. They have to, or they might be legally liable for unauthorized access. But since Sling basically broke the channel anyway, it made little difference if Roku removed it or not. It wasn't working anyway. Again, completely out of the control of Roku.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

No, I don't work for Roku. For the past 35 years my job title has been Air Traffic Controller. I am on this forum to assist other Roku users. I will defend Roku if I feel they haven't done anything, but I will call them out if I think they need it. I believe the admins will attest to my impartiality. In this case, people are screaming for Roku's blood, when they haven't done anything. Sling is the one who dropped support for Roku, and that's who the affected users need to be contacting. I'm quite sure Sling doesn't pay any attention to forums like this.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Level 7

Re: Slingplayer channel no longer supported

Jump to solution
Small company, small service , you buy sling box but you can’t use in Roku
Anymore.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: NO MORE SLINGPLAYER

Jump to solution

I have two rokus that are now worthless. I want a full refund from ROKU. NOW!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@fsracer wrote:

I have two rokus that are now worthless. I want a full refund from ROKU. NOW!!!

Why from Roku? They have nothing to do with Slingplayer, they didn't write the channel that used Slingplayer, and have no control over Slingplayer discontinuing support for Roku players. Your complaint is with Sling, not Roku. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I totally agree with you, WHY ROKU.  They have done nothing but to follow the instructions of one of their Vendor/Partners.  Sling told them to shut down Sling Player and Roku shut down Sling Player.  There are 2 or 3 other ways to watch your Slingbox.  I usually watch on my PC.  But if I have to have the Slingbox feed on my TV, I hook my Laptop up to the TV.  Problem solved.  Otherwise my Rokus work just fine.

So your Rokus are worthless, I will give you 30 bucks for both of them.

Robert

Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Slingplayer channel no longer supported

Jump to solution
OK, new Fire TV box, and a newer Slingbox to work with it. Took longer to setup, due to needing some extra connection equipment. Slingplayer Channel comes up fine on Fire TV at home. Traveling soon, so I'll have more idea soon on how well it works remotely. Noticed that Roku and Innovid (ad marketing and measurements) also had some announcements on Sept. 23.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Slingplayer no long supported

Jump to solution

Roku was the only stable streaming device for Slingbox.  I bought 3 more devices a few months ago and of course all works far better than Chromecast.  Now.... nothing.  What a waste and loss of money.