Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Slingplayer no long supported

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have disconnected my Roku and installed Fire stick.

Just an FYI that when you remove a well used app all of sudden with out any warning or respect for you customers there will be consequences.

What a ludicrous way to run a business. I will give you a free tip! 

CUSTOMER SERVICE, CUSTOMER SERVICE, CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Adios

Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@bewell4711 wrote:

Hello,

I have disconnected my Roku and installed Fire stick.

Just an FYI that when you remove a well used app all of sudden with out any warning or respect for you customers there will be consequences.

What a ludicrous way to run a business. I will give you a free tip! 

CUSTOMER SERVICE, CUSTOMER SERVICE, CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Adios

You can't blame Roku when a provider decides to discontinue support for their players. Regardless of the excuse that Sling is providing, Roku has confirmed it was Sling that requested the channel to be removed. So it's Sling that has a problem with their customer service. I'm not saying that Roku is perfect in that regard either. But in this case it's not Roku's fault. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I am running both Roku and FireSticks, to be totally honest with you, the Roku Interface is so much cleaner.  Slingplayer for FireStick works much better than Roku, but thats one app.  Xfinity App for FireStick flat will not work.  Locast for Firestick will not save login credentials.

And OMG, how do I shut off the constant adds from Amazon on the Firestick.  Buy this Buy that,,yada yada yada.

Robert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

You can't blame Roku when a provider decides to discontinue support for their players. Regardless of the excuse that Sling is providing, Roku has confirmed it was Sling that requested the channel to be removed. So it's Sling that has a problem with their customer service. I'm not saying that Roku is perfect in that regard either. But in this case it's not Roku's fault. 

Yes, you 'can' blame Roku for turning off the SlingPlayer channel on their users without advance notice.

As far as that 'request' goes, that may be just boilerplate response from Roku, and we can only speculate on what happened behind the scenes, and whether it was about technology or revenue or both.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Shame on you: Slingplayer no long supported

Jump to solution

How unfair and deceptive to advertise these features then pull the plug after people save up and buy these devices!

You should refund everyone that produces a receipt. ..and stop pointing fingers Roku <-> Slingbox.

Way to trash your consumer confidence. Was singing praises about both companies until this.

Hopefully some consumer protection division notices this like they have other instances - resulting in big fines for you. Can't hide behind a EULA when you do this.

Only chance to save this chunk of your customer base is restoring the channel and big fat apology

Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Shame on you: Slingplayer no long supported

Jump to solution

@ThanksRopu wrote:

How unfair and deceptive to advertise these features then pull the plug after people save up and buy these devices!

You should refund everyone that produces a receipt. ..and stop pointing fingers Roku <-> Slingbox.

Way to trash your consumer confidence. Was singing praises about both companies until this.

Hopefully some consumer protection division notices this like they have other instances - resulting in big fines for you. Can't hide behind a EULA when you do this.

Only chance to save this chunk of your customer base is restoring the channel and big fat apology

You can complain here until the cows come home. This was 100% a Sling event. Roku is required to honor a request of a channel provider to remove the channel. Sling, and only Sling, is responsible for its removal. Even if Roku had left the channel in place, they've already stopped its functionality, so regardless of the channel being there or not, it won't work if Sling stops supporting it. They are the content provider, and it is under their complete control. All Roku can do is attempt to get them to change their minds. Maybe they are doing that now, who knows. But don't blame Roku. Put your anger where it belongs, on the content provider, Sling. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Shame on you: Slingplayer no long supported

Jump to solution

Well Said.  I was trying to do the same by explaining to people what technically was going on.  Basically, your correct, Sling made a change, for what reason we will never know, as Sling constantly rebuffs it customers.  Roku had no choice but to follow suite.

For the folks who say they went to the FireStick, good luck with that, what about if and when Sling stops working over there.  I have two FireSticks and they are both in a drawer, the interface is horrible unless of course you like being bombarded with Amazon Ads.

Robert

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

well when will you be updating your app.  I bought this for roku device. Are you stopping all support?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@holmdel1 wrote:

well when will you be updating your app.  I bought this for roku device. Are you stopping all support?

Again, your question needs to be directed to Sling. Roku did not create the channel for Sling, and is not responsible for updating it. From what has been reported here by other users, Sling has dropped support for Roku devices, so don't expect them to provide any updates. 

Dan
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I am not with Sling, I am a heavy user of Slingboxes and the AirTV box.  I also do not write code, or I would love to update the app.

I have 5 Slingboxes installed around the country at friends homes that have the old fashioned Cable to Satellite TV Connections. 

2 Slingboxes in Pittsburgh

1 Slingbox in Vacaville California

1 in the Washington DC area but in Virginia

1 in Evergreen Colorado

1 AirTV locally, 

Robert