Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Roku Sitck 3800x with Slingplayer

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@rj0 wrote:
So we're still open on whether Sling or Roku initiated the Sept. 23 update that killed the SlingPlayer channel. Firmware doesn't always need to be updated to change functionality. There's a software level that boots on top of that, and then there's patches (such as Windows patch Tuesday), and software controls which can enable/disable functions (built-in software switches which require no new software, just a built-in mechanism to turn functionality off and on, I've worked on such). I'm open to whatever the truth is.

When Roku updates their firmware, it shows on the Update page as the last date updated. We have no information about individual channel updates, so we (the end users) can't tell when the last time a channel was updated. But Roku did not push any update out on Sept 23, at least to my devices. Roku doesn't issue patches without changing the OS version level. 

Windows doesn't update the OS version level on patch Tuesday. I'm not sure why I would expect Roku to be different, but, as you've noted, they appear to do so with their Update page. But, of course, even if they do list all OS updates on that page, there's still a software layer, and software controls ...

As for software on top of the firmware level, how far does your Roku box boot when it's not connected to the internet? It's downloading a lot of software from a server. Watch the internet lights flicker if yours is connected via Ethernet cable.

And for software controls, think passwords. Web servers do not need to change any software to disable your access.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I may have answered my own question...

The Firestick 4k seems to default to "Best HD"... which would seem to imply 4k... which I don't have.

I changed from Best to "better", still says HD.. so I assume this is either 1080 or 720 hd, but the TV I'm using is 1366x768 anyway (so 720HD).

Changing to 'better' seems to stay connected. 

If I ever get a 4k TV (and new glasses!) I may try it.

Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Slingplayer channel no longer supported

Jump to solution

I suppose I might add that Roku's official response suggests where the control of channel content is:

"This channel was removed at the request of the channel partner."

Note, in particular, the word "request". 

Regardless of whether Sling actually made such request, it had, by Roku's own responses, been processed by Roku in such a manner that the removal occurred (however they did it).

This doesn't confirm whether other software functionality changes occurred (such that might have made the SlingPlayer channel incompatible), but it does make clear that Roku can modify and disable things on the box without posting an Update (and did so on Sept. 23, when the removal and error message started).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Well it seems to me , that from a completely business perspective they both may be guilty of the demise . Both are in the streaming channel business and will make more money long term subscriptions and revenue generated Therof . Sling player has quit producing hardware . ( I think you can still buy Roku hardware interface )  . Maybe I have it wrong but this is bout selling subscriptions forever vs selling hardware once in a while. At least that’s what I see . 

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I Truly believe like I posted on earlier that this all has something to do with Slings ongoing development of their AirTV Black Box unit, which is based on the older generation Slingboxes.  This again is an email I received from Sling regarding the AirTV channel and Roku. 

Dear valued AirTV Customer,

Starting on 9/24/2019, a firmware update rolled out to many Roku devices that ended support for the AirTV App on these devices. If you currently use an AirTV app on one of these Roku devices to view local channels from your AirTV device, you’ll need to make some changes in order to continue watching, and improve your experience with new DVR capabilities. Going forward, you’ll use the Sling TV App for Roku for free! If you don’t have a Sling account, you can create one for free at sling.com/airtv.

To make this change, you will need to reset your AirTV to connect the Sling App following the instructions below:

1. Perform a factory reset of your AirTV device by pushing the end of a paper clip into the RESET port for 12 seconds (until the front panel lights blink twice).

2. Re-connect your AirTV to the Internet. You can plug in an Ethernet cable or connect to Wi-Fi using the Sling App.

3. Download the Sling App on your iOS or Android device.

4. On your mobile device, connect to your home Wi-Fi network that AirTV will connect to.

5. Open the Sling TV app and sign in. Don’t have a Sling TV account? Create one for free at sling.com/airtv.

6. In the Sling TV app, access Settings » Over-the-Air Channels.

7. Follow the on-screen instructions to connect to your home Wi-Fi network and scan for channels.

8. Get the SlingTV app on your Roku device from the Roku Channels Store.

9. Log-in to the Sling app with your Sling TV account and watch all your local channels.

10. To add DVR capability, simply plug an external hard drive to the USB port of you AirTV and follow the on-screen instructions.

The Bold part of the statement is very interesting, it really does not state that a ROKU Firmware update is being made specifically by ROKU.  Is it truely a Roku update or a Slingbox Firmware Update. 
And as I also stated the old Slingbox Windows App actually listed my AirTV unit along with the older Slingboxes.

Robert
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Mannlaker wrote:

Well it seems to me , that from a completely business perspective they both may be guilty of the demise . Both are in the streaming channel business and will make more money long term subscriptions and revenue generated Therof . Sling player has quit producing hardware . ( I think you can still buy Roku hardware interface )  . Maybe I have it wrong but this is bout selling subscriptions forever vs selling hardware once in a while. At least that’s what I see . 

Sadly, I suspect that you're essentially right, and that it actually all came down to negotiations between Roku and Sling on ad and subscription revenue.

The combination of the SlingPlayer channel being a free channel across all platforms (non-subscription) and Sling's simplistic full screen streaming protocol (hard to insert ads) probably made that problematic, thus an impasse.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
Ok so I leaped and bought the Firestick 4K. So far works flawlessly and love the fact I can adjust volume, pull up the channel menu, and change channels, using the firestick remote instead of having to juggle my phone and the TV remote. A VAST improvement over the Roku and I should have switched years ago. Possibly firestick was not an option when we got the Roku a couple years ago. Thumbs up for Firestick so far!!
Level 8

Jump to solution
I’m another guy who just ran out and bought a Firestick. What an improvement ! Just the fact that I don’t have to cast to it from another device is a 100% improvement. The only negative for me is no Spectrum app. Hopefully we will see one soon.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I agree the Slingplayer app on Fire Stick is 100 percent better than the Roku, to bad the rest of the Fire stick does not match up with the roku.

Robert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: NO MORE SLINGPLAYER

Jump to solution

One of the best features about Slingbox is that it works when you travel out of the country.

You can not access Xfinity, Netflix, Hulu or any other streaming service outside of the US.

But slingbox works anywhere you have wifi IN THE WORLD!

I have owned a slingbox for 9 years. As long as you have decent wifi it is a great product and highly under rated.

0 Kudos