Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Slingplayer channel no longer supported

Jump to solution
From what I have read slingbox hardware operations may be near terminal . Done . Finished ??? Has anybody elqs had slingbox software issues this week. Mine continues to soft reboot itself . Without action by me . Anywhere from a couple of minutes between reboots and a 10 to 15 minutes max between episodes . I was able to get in 1 hard reboot and software download but it did not help . It still streams but obviously when one of these unwanted reboots happens the feed stops . Can’t buy replacement easily here in Canada . Still looking . PS I bought an Apple TV today and it works acceptable with the slingbox on a remote TV
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm having a related issue. While I'm watching live TV via Direct TV, it is interrupted every several to every 20 minutes or so by the Slingbox 500 turning on.  I did both a soft reset and a hard reset of the Slingbox  as well as a reset of my router with no correction of the problem. I thought it might be restarting to install updates (a lot of updates?) but it has been doing this for 3 days.  I finally just disconnected the Slingbox.  I purchased a Fire stick for my 2nd home (where I primarily use the Slingbox) but I suspect that this problem will make watching TV there via my Slingbox impossible. It appears that Slingbox is charging $30 for support services since my Slinbox is no longer under warranty.  I doubt that this is a hardware problem. I fear these issues are the dying throes of Slingbox. It was a good thing while it lasted.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
Has anyone tried their roku / sling interface in the last 18 hours ? . My software glitch on slingbox appears to have resolved. And I am wondering if the roku problem is fixed too ? My roku box is at a different location so I can’t test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

If your talking about the SlingPlayer channel on Roku it is GONE, Nada Does not work Period.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@SlingSucks wrote:

@DaMasK wrote:

Will the Fire Stick connect to a Slingbox that is not on the same local network?

Excellent question.  For now, yes.  I can connect the Windows software or my Android app or an iphone app to my slingboxes.  

[...]

So we still need to log into sling's servers to get to our slingboxes.  What happens if those evil doers pull the plug on us?  That would be bad.

Question:  How exactly does the Fire Slingplayer channel work?  Do you connect to your Slingbox via, say, an iPad and sling the picture to the Fire channel?  Or does that Fire Slingplayer channel connect to your Slingbox directly?  If so, how does it do that?  Does it require your slingmedia.com login/password?

Yes, we are at the mercy of Sling to maintain their servers.  It should be possible to connect a Slingplayer app directly to your Slingbox if you know the Slingbox's IP address, but I don't think the Slingplayer apps/channels provide that capability.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

FireTV connect nicely, I have both Roku and FireTV and while I prefer Roku and its remote the FireTV app/channel works more like a player app than the Roku Slingbox channel.  I primarily use Slingbox for a vacation property where I have the FireTV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@jmliii wrote:

FireTV connect nicely, I have both Roku and FireTV and while I prefer Roku and its remote the FireTV app/channel works more like a player app than the Roku Slingbox channel.  I primarily use Slingbox for a vacation property where I have the FireTV.

How does the FireTV app know how to reach your Slingbox?  Do you provide the same login/password you would use in, for example, the iPad Slingplayer app?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
I was at an Airbnb on a business trip and was looking forward to watching my home baseball game which I had recorded.
After a long day of travel I'm finally relaxed I open up the sling player app on my Android phone go to cast it to the Roku that came with the TV in the room and what the hell!!!
I have no doubt it was Roku!
It's going in the trash as soon as my Amazon fire stick arrives.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Try using mirroring by turning it on in settings/system/screen mirroring on the Roku (I use the Roku Ultra) then activate smartview on an Android device and the phone screen will display on the TV including SlingPlayer.  Do not use the cast button at the top right of the app.  Not sure about Apple devices.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes, Firetv will connect remotely like any other SlingPlayer app.

0 Kudos