Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Slingplayer channel no longer supported

Jump to solution

@SlingSucks wrote:

Thanks for that info.  I had not realized that firestick would work without a phone/tablet/laptop in the mix.  I'll add my Roku to my 'already obsolete and useless' pile and pick up a fire stick.

Question:

Will the Fire Stick connect to a Slingbox that is not on the same local network?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yes, the Fire Stick will connect to a Slingbox which is remote or off of your network.  The Fire Sticks Slingplayer app is much better than the Roku's Defunct Channel.  I tend not to you Fire Sticks because I hate Amazons interface compared to Rokus. 

I get the feeling, that Amazon is always trying to get to to buy something.  Plus, because its an interactive interface, its constantly changing where the channels appear on the screen, as with Roku, the channels are in the same place every time.

Because I have 2 FireSticks that I do not use, I will be pressing them into service for Slingbox only.

Robert

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

On sort of the same subject.

The Firmware upgrade affected AirTV, you can no longer use AirTV on a Roku, Sling instructs you to change the configuration of your AirTV box to utilize the SlingTV app.  Which works really well now that its upgraded on Roku.  BUTTTTT, the SlingTV app has not been updated on the Fire Stick, it kinda works but you do not have all of the DVR functionality that the new SlingTV app has on the Roku.  Also, because you have to reconfigure your AirTV box for SlingTV, the AirTV app on the Fire Stick is basically useless.

I also use the Xfinity Stream Beta app on Roku, which allows streaming devices on the same wireless network as an Xfinity Stand Alone Receiver to get all the Xfinity Channels via Roku.  The Xfinity Stream app flat will not connect to your network on the Fire Stick.

Most advanced users of Streaming devices have both the Roku and a Fire device, because of the constant changes in the way Fire and Roku do things and fight with each other all the time.  I would love to have an all in one type device that would merge FireTV, Roku, Tivo, AirTV, HDHomerun, yada yada yada into one device, but we will never see that.  Especially now that Xfinity is releasing their on streaming device for Internet Only customers, that gives them the channels that are on the Xfinity Stream App.

Robert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
If anyone has an surplus slingbox 500 I need one . Mine has gone wonky ( software glitch it appears . I am in Canada and am having a terrible time finding one . Amazon Canada has nothing and Amazon.com won’t ship to Canada . Anybody ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Have you tried Ebay, they have several listed.

Robert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@DaMasK wrote:

Will the Fire Stick connect to a Slingbox that is not on the same local network?

Excellent question.  For now, yes.  I can connect the Windows software or my Android app or an iphone app to my slingboxes.  

BUT - after I bought my original Slingbox, I found a then-better gadget - a Vulkano.  Higher definition... component input... stereo... you could record on your PC what was coming in from the Vulkano...  It was really great.  And you could get to it over the interweb.  But to do that, you had to log in thru Vulkano's servers on the web.  

Vulkano is no more.  I think due to some lawsuit from Sling and/or content providers.  The gadgets are still out there, and they still work great, but only on local networks.  Now that Vulkano's traffic cop servers are gone, the software can't find your house any more.  I was hoping by now that some enterprising developer would have created a substitute server, but no such luck.

Vulkano's TV Guide feature went dark several years ago, too.

A real shame.  That was a heck of a gadget.  And now, Sling walked away from the hardware market.

So we still need to log into sling's servers to get to our slingboxes.  What happens if those evil doers pull the plug on us?  That would be bad.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I totally agree, Sling does suck.  But at the time I got into it Sony, and RePlay were the only two games in town other than the Slingbox.  I received my first Slingbox as a gift and just stuck with them. 

Their support has been horrible.  They would release a product or software app, and within 6 months it was either replaced or you could never get an answer when you posted a question to them.  Their forums either never worked or were archived and blocked from view.  If you needed to know something it was always via an external forum.

Then Dish Network started upping their steak in them, and it went even further down hill even faster.  I had hoped when the 350 and 500 were released it would get better, but then they changed the interface completely so that you had to have two different systems to view old versus new.  Their Roku app was nothing but a Casting Receiver for your phone.  No real control other than thru the phone.  When they made hardware it was not bad, I have 3 Solos running with a Catcher.  Plus a 350 which naturally it does not work with the Catcher. 

Robert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I meant to also mention, that if Slings history is  any indication of whats to come, I wonder how long SlingTV will be supported.

Robert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Slingbox ... This weekend was virtually unwatchable ... My streaming kept disconnecting on intervals of about 5 to 15 minutes then I couldn't reconnect for a minute or two ... It is not my internet as all other streaming sources worked flawlessly ... What is going on with Slingbox???
0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

Its not just SlingTV or Slingbox, I have been using Netflix for years and on both my Roku and my FireStick, it constantly is slow.  I have just gotten used to power failing the FireStick and Roku Express every day.  My Roku 3 works fine.

On Roku Express when I attempt to access very non responsive, then Roko finally craps out and reboots itself.

On FireStick it just hangs and I have to manually unplug and plug back in.

On my Roku 3, runs great all the time.  Moral of the story, buy a non STICK version of a Streaming Device that has a seperate power source and on board memory.

0 Kudos