Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slingbox plus Roku

Hi Everyone,

Wondered who has had good and bad experiences with this set up. There's a good deal on the Slingbox 350 right now so wondered if I should go for it. I can hard wire the slingbox for sure and perhaps the Roku at a pinch. Will it work well with a 2XS? Looks like a nice way to watch my Tivo content.

Thanks
0 Kudos
25 Replies
thetick
Level 8

Re: Slingbox plus Roku

Nope it completely sucks.

You must use a media server (PC or cell phone) to convert the video to a format Roku can understand. And of course the video quality is poor at best. Slingbox never makes this clear in their advertising. Slingbox is great solution with Dish network or most cable boxes, but it's a horrible mess with Roku.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS
0 Kudos

"thetick" wrote:
Nope it completely sucks.

You must use a media server (PC or cell phone) to convert the video to a format Roku can understand. And of course the video quality is poor at best. Slingbox never makes this clear in their advertising. Slingbox is great solution with Dish network or most cable boxes, but it's a horrible mess with Roku.

Thanks. I also noted that my Roamio lacks an easy output for the Slingbox. Looks like a no go.
0 Kudos
j_m_
Level 7

FWIW, I can't even get my Slingbox to work with any of my 3 Rokus. The Android Slingplayer app sees all 3 but says they don't have the Slingplayer Roku app installed, which they do.
0 Kudos
thetick
Level 8

"j.m." wrote:
FWIW, I can't even get my Slingbox to work with any of my 3 Rokus. The Android Slingplayer app sees all 3 but says they don't have the Slingplayer Roku app installed, which they do.

It won't be much better even when it's working. Return your slingbox if you can still get your money back.
TheTick
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS
0 Kudos
theuser86
Level 7

If you have OTA channels, consider a Simple.TV or Tablo.
0 Kudos
j_m_
Level 7

"thetick" wrote:
"j.m." wrote:

It won't be much better even when it's working. Return your slingbox if you can still get your money back.

I actually can, but I'm not going to do so. I don't like some of Sling's practices, but my SlingBox actually works pretty well except with Roku. Even with Roku, it is passable in a pinch now that I stumbled on the solution to my above problem. Apparently, it is not enough to have the Roku SlingPlayer app (channel) installed: its channel icon must be within a certain range from the top of the channel grid. I moved it from the bottom of my 100+ channels (where it installed as a new channel) to about 10 from the top on Roku #1, and streaming from my phone now works. I repeated on Roku #2, and it works now also. Haven't gotten to Roku #3 yet... This seems to be bug, but I'm not sure if it is on the Roku or phone end...

I have a Simple.TV also FWIW.
0 Kudos
thetick
Level 8

"j.m." wrote:

I actually can, but I'm not going to do so. I don't like some of Sling's practices, but my SlingBox actually works pretty well except with Roku. Even with Roku, it is passable in a pinch now that I stumbled on the solution to my above problem.

OK if you don't mind using a sledgehammer to pound in a nail.
TheTick
Verizon FIOS
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

"thetick" wrote:

Nothing wrong with that. Properly struck a even a large nail can easily be driven in one stroke with a sledge. Of course if you are too "girlie" you can limit the stroke and choke way up on the handle.

Also I doubt you can name even one piece of electronics that we are not tempted to perform a judicious sledgehammer adjustment on from time to time. Smiley Wink Smiley LOL :twisted:
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
thetick
Level 8

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"thetick" wrote:

Nothing wrong with that. Properly struck a even a large nail can easily be driven in one stroke with a sledge. Of course if you are too "girlie" you can limit the stroke and choke way up on the handle.

It's not about being girlie, but at least for me it would be the battery life of my phone.
TheTick
Verizon FIOS
0 Kudos