Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
captivater
Level 7

Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Bought a Roku Player.
Attempted to activate the $35 Sling credit.
Website JavaScript was completely unresponsive when attempting to redeem credit.

Disingenuous to advertise a Sling credit and then code the website to be unresponsive when attempting to redeem.

[youtube:363hyl0f]X-bk1CYrHqY[/youtube:363hyl0f]
0 Kudos
28 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Sling TV Credit - Official Response Requested

"captivater" wrote:
Bought a Roku Player.
Attempted to activate the $35 Sling credit.
Website JavaScript was completely unresponsive when attempting to redeem credit.

Disingenuous to advertise a Sling credit and then code the website to be unresponsive when attempting to redeem.

Have you tried a different browser (one with no plug-ins or extensions installed)? Or disabling the plug-ins/extensions on your browser?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
captivater
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:
Have you tried a different browser (one with no plug-ins or extensions installed)? Or disabling the plug-ins/extensions on your browser?

There is only one chance to redeem the credit - during the initial set-up. There exists no way to switch browsers mid-way through the process.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"captivater" wrote:
"DBDukes" wrote:

There is only one chance to redeem the credit - during the initial set-up. There exists no way to switch browsers mid-way through the process.

Do a factory reset and it will offer it again. So, yeah, there is a way, just not a pretty way. If you do that, I'm gonna suggest that you get rid of those plug-ins. I can't clearly see what they are in the video, and not all interfere, so I can't suggest specifically which, if any, might be an issue. So, I'm suggesting disabling them all.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
captivater
Level 7

Fairly certain once the device has been registered as activated for the first time on Roku's activation servers, the offer goes away.

Had a brand new Roku TV to activate as well.
I figured it may have been the DNS on my network.
So I used cellular IP on my iPhone w/ Safari (iOS 12.1, no add-ons, or ad-blockers).

The JavaScript functioned properly this time. But when Roku redirected to Sling's website, it returned a 404.
I tried again while connected to my network. The JavaScript functioned fine. But Sling's website still returned a 404.

So two issues.
1. JavaScript website controls are borked on FireFox (Gecko/Quantum).
2. The handoff on the redirect from Roku's offer page to Sling's website - at least on iOS Safari (WebKit).

I'm not claiming nefarious malfeasance, so let's set side intentions.
Seeing as how the offer is seemingly unable to be redeemed, it is tantamount to false advertising.

It would be difficult to include a physical promo code when selling older stock that's been lying around.
But then a $35 promo code should be digitally issued when the device is first activated.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"captivater" wrote:
Fairly certain once the device has been registered as activated for the first time on Roku's activation servers, the offer goes away....

Nope. You're basing that on what you think. I'm basing it on what I actually experienced.

Could that have been a glitch? Sure. But it worked for me exactly as I said.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
captivater
Level 7

OK. Seeing as how I've received no response, I'll just file an FTC complaint.
Would have gotten a response if Roku had any intention of fulfilling the promotion.

Disappointing to see Roku falsely advertise.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"captivater" wrote:
OK. Seeing as how I've received no response, I'll just file an FTC complaint.
Would have gotten a response if Roku had any intention of fulfilling the promotion.

Disappointing to see Roku falsely advertise.

Sling has a problem with their Website -- the image you posted shows a Sling.com URL, not a Roku.com URL -- and it's Roku's fault? Trying to follow your logic. Or did I miss where you contacted Sling?
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

Re: Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Did you ever contact support?
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Wow, 2 days into an issue and the guy is filing a FTC complaint.. just wow.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos