Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrbinky3000
Level 7

Sling TV App Really Needs Work.

I have a 50Mb cable connection and a Roku 3. All other Roku apps work fine.

Sling TV...
Constantly freezes.
Drops connections.
Crashes Roku.
When you return to the Roku home screen, you get a black screen as Sling TV continues to broadcast audio for 10 seconds or more.
Can't connect to popular shows like Game of Thrones, Mad Men, or popular sports events.
Crashes or freezes if you change the channels too many times.

However. Sling TV works fine on my phone and computer. Are they ever going to fix the Roku App? How do I let the Sling TV folks know that they have some serious improvements to make or else I'm going to have to quit their app. It's not worth the money.
0 Kudos
63 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Sling TV App Really Needs Work.

"mrbinky3000" wrote:
I have a 50Mb cable connection and a Roku 3. All other Roku apps work fine.

Sling TV...
Constantly freezes.
Drops connections.
Crashes Roku.
When you return to the Roku home screen, you get a black screen as Sling TV continues to broadcast audio for 10 seconds or more.
Can't connect to popular shows like Game of Thrones, Mad Men, or popular sports events.
Crashes or freezes if you change the channels too many times.

However. Sling TV works fine on my phone and computer. Are they ever going to fix the Roku App? How do I let the Sling TV folks know that they have some serious improvements to make or else I'm going to have to quit their app. It's not worth the money.

Here's the thing. I have Sling TV. And it works great for me. 50MB Comcast Internet service. Roku 3. No freezing. No crashes. I do get a 1-2 second continuation of the audio after I press the Home button. Other than that, it works great.

So, whatever the problem is, it's not universal. What to do then? Well, have you tried removing the app from your Roku, restarting the Roku, then re-adding the app? If there's a problem with your installation, that might resolve that.

Also, do you have an SD card installed? If so, try removing it, in case it's stored on the card and there's an issue that's corrupting the app.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
hunter88
Level 7

The best speed I've ever had on my internet is 4.77 mbps, and I rarely have a problem with Sling. I use a Roku 2 with RCA cables on an older TV where the HDMI slot no longer works, and I use the stick on another TV.

In the past month I got a new computer, a tower. I have noticed I can get Sling to load and move through the channels much faster using the computer then going through my Roku 2, which I assume is because the computer has a faster processor.

My plan is to replace my older TV where the HDMI slot doesn't work, and move the tower closer to the new TV. If Roku is giving me a problem I'll just access Sling through the tower and mirror to the TV. I should be able to use the wireless mouse from my recliner to change channels.
0 Kudos

I have multiple Roku boxes....2, 3 and a couple of HDs. I have a fast fiber optic internet connection. I have zero issues with any channel buffering EXCEPT Sling and it stops/starts and freezes CONSTANTLY. Like in half an hour, it will do all of that at least 15-20 times. It's ridiculous. The ONLY reason I haven't canceled it is because now I can watch The Big Bang Theory and I paid for 3 months so I could get the Roku 3 at half price. But if it's not better by the end of the three months I paid for, it will probably be gone. I'm not going to continue paying for horrendous service that the company blames on my internet connection just so I can watch one program in fits and starts. Great idea, poor execution.
0 Kudos
gkl
Level 7

I've not had the problems the OP mentioned, but I do believe the app needs work. I applied parental controls the other night and it screwed things up, wouldn't play some channels even though the show was within the parameters I set, showed the wrong shows for the schedule, etc. I disabled the parental controls and then re-enabled them and all went fine. Then I tried to watch a baseball game on WatchESPN the next night, which is authenticated via Sling TV and it showed me authenticated through my ISP instead, which, of course, doesn't allow access to ESPN and ESPN2. I could not get it to re-authenticate through Sling TV. I finally uninstalled WatchESPN and then reinstalled it and was able to re-authenticate. I could be wrong, but I suspect it was somehow related to enabling the parental controls the night before. In any event, all seems to be working fine again now.

I have had the delay in audio when closing the channel which others have mentioned, which I consider a minor nuisance, but nothing more.

I also wish they'd let us hide the channels we never watch. I don't like having to scroll past channels I'll never watch to get to the ones I will. I suspect their content partners would balk at that, however.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos
hunter88
Level 7

Then I tried to watch a baseball game on WatchESPN the next night, which is authenticated via Sling TV and it showed me authenticated through my ISP instead, which, of course, doesn't allow access to ESPN and ESPN2. I could not get it to re-authenticate through Sling TV. I finally uninstalled WatchESPN and then reinstalled it and was able to re-authenticate. I could be wrong, but I suspect it was somehow related to enabling the parental controls the night before. In any event, all seems to be working fine again now.

After reading quite a few posts of people having problems with ESPN and going to WatchESPN, I thought maybe I should give that a try once since I'd never used it. Figured I should try when I don't really need it then when I want to watch something.

I just Googled watchespn and when it came up I clicked on it. Near the top it said watch so I clicked on that. I assumed the next step was going to be to authenticate through Sling, but it just went right to the program. After that to test I tried ESPN2 and later tried ESPNU, and each time it started right up. Not sure why it's working without authenticating through Sling, but I guess as long as it works I'm fine.
0 Kudos
samedia
Level 7

The Sling TV App sucks big time on my Roku 2 XS
Roku 2 XS - 3100X
Version 7.5.0 build 4099.02
Roku Premiere Plus
Version 9.1.0 Build 4919-29
0 Kudos
shadoecat
Level 7

I do get occasional freezes, but for the most part, I have had no issues with Sling TV on my Roku 3.
0 Kudos
mrbinky3000
Level 7

Click * and then select "TV" and you'll see a yellow progress bar on each channels thumbnail.

You also see that progress meter whenever you pick a station to watch.

If you are watching a live sporting event, and the progress meter reaches the end before the game is done, you get a "Something is Wrong, please try again in a few minutes" error, which only goes away if you restart the Roku, thus missing out on the sporting event.

This happened on the overtime TNT coverage of the Cavs game, happens on a lot of baseball games. It is INFURIATING because it usually happens at the END of a game.

For the love of sports, please FIX this App!!!!

- Matt
0 Kudos
gkl
Level 7

"mrbinky3000" wrote:
Click * and then select "TV" and you'll see a yellow progress bar on each channels thumbnail.

You also see that progress meter whenever you pick a station to watch.

If you are watching a live sporting event, and the progress meter reaches the end before the game is done, you get a "Something is Wrong, please try again in a few minutes" error, which only goes away if you restart the Roku, thus missing out on the sporting event.

This happened on the overtime TNT coverage of the Cavs game, happens on a lot of baseball games. It is INFURIATING because it usually happens at the END of a game.

For the love of sports, please FIX this App!!!!

- Matt

I always choose WatchESPN over the Sling channel whenever I'm watching sports on ESPN. I REALLY wish the other networks on Sling, especially those carrying live sports, like TNT and TBS, would create their own Roku channels as well. Sling is a great product, but as many point out, its Roku channel leaves a lot to be desired.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos