Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
kbd48
Level 7

Re: Sling TV App Really Needs Work.

I was so aggravated with Sling TV in the beginning, but lately it has been pretty good. The biggest change was trading my TWC ISP for a new local ISP. I went from 30 mbps down with TWC to 15 down mbps with the local ISP and a new fiber optic line. The difference was night and day, not just with video streaming but all my devices. I still get some hiccups with Sling, but it is not unusable like it was with TWC. I don't think download speed means much with TWC and other ISP's, but rather the quality of the connection. There is no way I should be getting a more reliable experience with Sling TV at 15 down rather than 30 down except that TWC was giving me a crappy connection and signal.
0 Kudos
mrjlturner
Level 7

Agreed. That should not be the case. I have played w/ SlingTV a few times over the last few weeks and have noticed a far better experience than the first go-round. I think that their app has improved on the ROKU (if not in fashion, at least in reliability & function.)
My ROKU Info:
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime
0 Kudos
mrjlturner
Level 7

This is a cross-post. Had a lockup / reboot sequence today while watching SlingTV channel. Streaming for about an hour and it locked up... Posted in the regular forum, but wanted to throw it on this thread as well since it was related to SlingTV.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89529

Thanks,
-mrjlturner
My ROKU Info:
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime
0 Kudos
jdmac29
Level 7

Madison320 I have same issues mainly with ESPN. 30mb speed, hard wired roku 3.
I log in with the watch ESPN app and hardly any issues during a mlb game. I hate the fact can't just switch channels on sling but the price is great for what I am getting. I think slings major weakness is live sports. I think it will get better over time.
0 Kudos
vnazario
Level 8

Hello:

I'm still wondering why BBC America never made it to Sling TV base package. I remember it being announced that AMC and BBC America would be added to the base package around the same time and this never happened. All I see are more add on packages but no updates to the base or at least with allowing Sling user authentication for VOD online viewing. Sling still needs to improve its VOD offering before I can consider subscribing.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
0 Kudos
zentsang
Level 7

Similar issue as OP.

So what do I have? -
01.) I have Bright House Networks (Orlando, FL) for my internet provider and get 150Mbps down and 10Mbps up.
02.) I have 2x Roku 3 units (1 on beta firmware), 1x Roku 2 unit, and 3x Roku Streaming Sticks.
03.) Roku 3 units hardwired on gigabit ethernet (CAT 6), a Roku 2 and 3x Streaming Sticks all running Wireless-N with between 80-99% signal strength.
04.) Wireless-N Netgear router used only as a Wireless Access Point since the mini-PC router below is handling all the DHCP addressing.
05.) A gigabit router which is an IPX mini-PC (8GB RAM) with 2 dedicated ethernet ports (1 input, 1 output) running the IP Fire router software. I'm not one for the less powerful off-the-shelf routers like Linksys, Netgear, DLink, etc. So my network has plenty of power.

What's working? -
Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, PBS, CBS, Twitch, pretty much every app works fine.

What's NOT working? -
The Sling TV app ... both CNN and HGTV constantly have freeze ups and ESPN seems to be affected during major events the most. I haven't watch too many others since those channels are the main reason I got Sling TV.

Things I've done? -
01.) I've logged in and out
02.) I've reinstalled the app multiple times
03.) I've restarted the units multiple times.
04.) I have confirmed bandwidth and ping speeds to multiple servers.

All of my Roku units, regardless of generation or OS level... all of them only have issues with the Sling TV app. I've given Sling TV over 4 months now and it's just to frustrating to deal with. I am seriously considering cancelling Sling TV at this point.

Ironically... the CNN International app works perfectly so why the hell can't Sling TV get the US-based CNN channel to run smoothly? Just doesn't make sense.

So there's my story contribution to this issue.
0 Kudos
gkl
Level 9

"vnazario" wrote:
Hello:

I'm still wondering why BBC America never made it to Sling TV base package. I remember it being announced that AMC and BBC America would be added to the base package around the same time and this never happened. All I see are more add on packages but no updates to the base or at least with allowing Sling user authentication for VOD online viewing. Sling still needs to improve its VOD offering before I can consider subscribing.

It is worth it to me for the ESPN family of channels and a few others, but I too am very disappointed that BBC America hasn't been added. As a result, I bought a season pass for the new season of Doctor Who a week-and-a-half ago, money I thought Sling was going to save me.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

both channel pear and veetlebox have my Who addiction covered
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
madison320
Level 7

"jdmac29" wrote:
Madison320 I have same issues mainly with ESPN. 30mb speed, hard wired roku 3.
I log in with the watch ESPN app and hardly any issues during a mlb game. I hate the fact can't just switch channels on sling but the price is great for what I am getting. I think slings major weakness is live sports. I think it will get better over time.

I'm starting to think the weak link is the Roku 3 box. I verified my connection speed (30-70mps). Re-installed the app. My Roku box is hard wired. Live sports on ESPN works on my PC on Sling. I may try the Amazon box, I think it's got 4 times the memory compared to the Roku 3.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 8

If all your other channels work OK then it's unlikely to be a problem with your Roku.
Most likely is a slow connection to the Sling servers.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos