Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HAL9000_Y2K_VER
Streaming Star

Re: SiriusXM shuts off after 20 minutes

Jump to solution

Tested with 3800 crazy close to router.

wireless really crop mrkd.jpg

Below, see signal after crashing with less drops/retry of inbound data transmit.  Yesterday I had TX/RX flipped.  TX is transmitted by SiriusXM server to customer node.  Retries are usually zero for Sling in comparison.  No glitches at 5 GHz but lots at 2.4 GHz.  Signal strength (SNR) would jump around and peak at 34 sometimes.  If I could see either of these two screens while running XM, some data might pop out.

Crashed after 1 hour June 26 signal crop.jpg

Performance indications on main screen.  Temp before picture taken was 112 C and graph color was red vs orange.  Shutdown was abrupt on this test.  CPU Speed was 1000 MHz before I could take the picture so device had not normalized from this stress test.  3800 normally runs hotter than 3930 or 3900 but not above boiling point of water.

Crashed after 1 hour June 26 stats.jpg

This test proved that too strong a signal did not prevent the behavior but shortened the time to crash. 

Moved router back down below floor since this test showed strong signal was too much of a good thing.  First re-test ran 3 hours and I didn't use the right remote.  Repeat and crashed at 3 hours.  Post crash had 104 C and 33% retries so I am back to condition before close router test. 

There is some network/router option that is being exploited by new XM code that consumes all the bandwidth of the network and the CPU power.  I would suspect such high utilization would shorten life of electrical components when operated out of normal range.  My printer is the only device on same router as XM device and printer goes off line now when it did not before May 16, I suspect router is broadcasting on all channels and  knocking out any other devices.  Printer is on different channel than XM device.  There should be no contention.

Next steps are to analyze router configuration changes that still provide proper security.  It could be that other users reporting this bug are timing out because router is not perfectly set up or up to date.   I found some notes on multicasting that matched the retry symptoms but don't believe that is exactly the same root cause.  If I change something and device runs cooler without crashing or locking.  I do not think the locking is related to this performance overload unless part of memory is corrupted and XM code just goes around some code if data is not addressable.  If I can watch traffic on the router due to 3800, I might see it doing something crazy and have better search terms for Dr Google. 

If Roku device crashes after 20 minutes, is it hot to the touch?  From home screen, hit home 5 times, then FF, down arrow, Rewind, down arrow, FF key.  Platform screen will show temperature.  If your signal is green and factory reset was done, time before crash should be closer to 30 minutes.  Network contention has to be minimized or crash time will be quick.  With zero contention, elapsed time to crash will be in hours.  Detail screen will lock at 1 hour. 

There could be more than 1 root cause.  However, I think it is most likely some network issue where new XM code is dependent on a system requirement that is undocumented.  XM probably doesn't even know the dependency since the part of the cause may be deep within some vendor controlled runtime library.  This new dependency could be found if XM source code compared the pre/post versions.  Compares  have been part of the standard software methodology forever.  

EM48
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

TOTALLY AGREE, STOP ASKING FOR SERIAL NUMBERS

Buck3
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Went through all the proper steps of contacting Sirius and Roku. Sirius assured me they were working on a fix. Got back in town after 2 weeks with high hopes. Still no fix. You're losing subscribers folks. Please stop asking for customers info and address the problem. It's obviously a bug with the version update. Just fix it.

Martin_
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Well, update........

My new 3941X Express 4k+ will play for around 4 hours, then back to ROKU home page.

The earlier post I read talking about signal strength was interesting.

Then the post about the upper over 1000 channels, the extras.

I found all my favorites up their... Classic rewind has been playing for 12 hours.... at about 8hrs, I just happen to look to see how it was doing and saw a yes or no screen was I still listening? I clicked yes and it continued for 4 hours till I stopped it.

NOW my comments about what I noticed in the upper 1000 channels. There is no DJ interaction, no Rachel Steele, no Casey Casim, etc.... Just music, that is okay.

The music seems to not have the same equalization or digital enhancement as the lower channels.

I had to increase my bass and decrease the treble a couple of steps to sound the same or at least similar.

minor yet I noticed it.

Martin ... my 2¢

ontrack
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I fixed the problem with SiriusXM stopping every 20 minutes after the recent ROKU update.  I decided to uninstall SiriusXM, then reinstall it.  I did the following on my ROKU Ultra connected to my TV:

Using the ROKU handset

• Press the HOME button
  • Move to the SiriusXM icon, then press the * button.  Make a note of the Version and Build numbers for reference.
  • Select Remove Channel, press OK.  Move cursor to Remove, then press OK.
  • Press the HOME button again
  • Select Search, then enter SiriusXM
  • Move the cursor to the name SiriusXM, then press OK
  • Press Add Channel, then press OK when install is completed
  • Press HOME button again
  • Move the cursor to the newly installed SiriusXM icon, then press the * button
  • Select Check for Updates, then press OK
  • Press OK when done.

Should work now.

Jaguar
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Nope. No change. 

iamtimfoley
Reel Rookie

Re: SiriusXM app crashing on Roku Express after recent update

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. The app crashes on my RokuTV after 20 minutes of listening. I am getting nowhere with Roku and Sirius support. If they can't fix this, then I am just going to cancel my Sirius subscription. I am not having this issue with any of the other apps I have on my TV. Only the Sirius app is having this issue. 

MCMLXAD
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

right

rabidbaby
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

An update on my situation. I had previously reported that SiriusXM would play for longer than 20 minutes on my Sharp Roku TV. That's no longer the case. Today it turned off after about 20 minutes. (I didn't time it exactly, but it played for at least 15 minutes and less than 25 minutes.) As far as I can tell, nothing has changed with the setup on that TV. I haven't logged out of the app, it's sill the same version/build, I'm using the same internet connection, and I was listening to my usual channel. 

I received 2 months of credit from Sirius XM for the hassle. Once my credit is gone, I'm canceling if this isn't fixed. I'm not paying for a service I can't effectively use. (Sure, it plays fine in the car, but I'm in my car for less than 10 minutes a day. Definitely not worth the subscription price.)

kidkrash
Streaming Star

Re: SiriusXM shuts off after 20 minutes | Actual fix

Jump to solution

My solution to this issue.

If SiriusXM can't fix the application then perhaps buying customers new hardware will motivate them. 🙂

~kidkrash

SiriusXMcredit.png