Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drakar2007
Level 9

SiriusXM App on RokuTV not displaying Art / UI as well as on older Roku3

I just got a new, 2019-model TCL RokuTV, and connected it to the account I've used for 2 prior (still active) Roku3 units.  An app I've gotten a lot of mileage out of is SiriusXM, as a longtime subscriber.  I was listening yesterday afternoon when I noticed the current song selection's album art was abysmally low in quality - super low resolution, compressed to all **bleep**.  Not a subtle issue, if you know what I mean.

For a moment I assumed this was an issue from the Sirius server side, as in like, "get better picture files, guys..." - but the next song had the same issue, and so forth.

So, I fired up the same app on my trusty old Roku3 (during the same song, even).  The difference was night and day - the same song with the "same" album art picture except this one looks like it wasn't half-downloaded on a dialup modem.

I noted the app version numbers, and both seem to be the same (i'm not at home right now so I can't repeat *what* they are).  There are no issues that I know of with my internet connectivity.  Audio quality seems fine on both.  I don't know of any other apps having this issue, but haven't checked others, i.e. Pandora, yet.

Any hints?  Is there something I'm missing?  I couldn't find any sort of advanced settings that would affect this.

11 REPLIES 11\
Rub1111
Level 7

Re: SiriusXM App on RokuTV not displaying Art / UI as well as on older Roku3

We have the same problem with new 2020 TV's as compared to a 2016 Roku receiver. 

magno101
Level 7

Just wanted to add to this. I'm also seeing the same issue. The Album art that is presented on the tv is pixilated and blurry. 

TV: TCL 50S535

Roku TV: A118X

Software Version 10.0.0 build 4209-88

SiriusXM App Version: 2.2.2

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@magno101

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Drakar2007
Level 9

I did this at least once (probably twice) back when I first got my Roku TV mentioned in my original post.  I still use that TV and still experience the same issue with the SiriusXM app.  If you think it'll do any good I could try taking the same steps again, however I'm fairly hesitant to do so unless there's reason to believe things have actually changed now, since the login process is fairly tedious (typing in an entire username/password with on-screen keyboard, etc).

magno101
Level 7

Thanks for the reply @RokuDanny-R 

Like @Drakar2007 mentions in their most recent reply this is a procedure that I've been through a few times already. One thing I should have mentioned from the start is that the app has never acted in a different way than what's been reported. It has not once ever displayed the art in a resolution that resulted in a clear picture. From day one, first install it's just always been this way.

Drakar2007
Level 9

For what it's worth, a while ago I took some photos of the same song playing on the same channel on the same TV, but one was through the external Roku3 device and the other was the TV's internal roku OS (both running the exact same app version).

Roku3 version:

RokuTV version (notice extreme compression artifacting):

Drakar2007
Level 9

Hi again @RokuDanny-R,

I'm just curious whether the Roku devs might be able to identify the issue here and/or if there's any further details I can provide that would help in tracking it down.  I'd love to see this issue resolved as it does fundamentally diminish the quality of the user experience when using the Sirius XM app (at least as far as it seemingly being a polished / professional product).  And of course it's been nearly 2 years without so much of an acknowledgment that it's an actual bug.

Thanks again for your attention to this, and to @magno101 for confirming that at least someone other than me is experiencing this issue, and for confirming that uninstalling/reinstalling the app doesn't seem to do much with respect to this bug.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Drakar2007

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Sirius XM support here: https://www.siriusxm.com/contact-us

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Drakar2007
Level 9

Thanks for the clarification @RokuDanny-R - after a lot of fumbling and dealing with a lot of bottom-tier phone-answerers, i finally got through to someone at SiriusXM corporate customer care and (hopefully?) they've submitted a bug report over to the dev team in charge of the Roku app (though I'm not clear whether there's really even a dedicated dev team for it).  I referred them to this post and the screenshots so hopefully someone ends up understanding.

0 Kudos