Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bvd1022
Level 9

Single sign-on

Hi,

I am trying to enable single sign on for the TV everywhere apps with my DirecTV credentials, but I can't find the new feature that makes this possible. I have several Roku devices and am considering getting a Roku TV over the holidays and have been waiting for this feature to become available. I currently have a Roku streaming stick in my living room and a Roku Ultra in my office each running firmware 8.1. do I need to wait until firmware 9.0 rolls out before I can just link my TV provider to my account or do I need to keep inputting codes every fee weeks to use these apps?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Single sign-on

"bvd1022" wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to enable single sign on for the TV everywhere apps with my DirecTV credentials, but I can't find the new feature that makes this possible. I have several Roku devices and am considering getting a Roku TV over the holidays and have been waiting for this feature to become available. I currently have a Roku streaming stick in my living room and a Roku Ultra in my office each running firmware 8.1. do I need to wait until firmware 9.0 rolls out before I can just link my TV provider to my account or do I need to keep inputting codes every fee weeks to use these apps?

Thanks.

A form of "single sign-on" already works. It's not like Apple TV's, but if you log in to one app in a family of apps -- related channels all owned by the same company -- then when you go to log in to the second (or greater) related app, my experience is that before you are able to complete the process, it'll recognize that you're already logged in to a "family" app and authenticate. Doesn't work for everything, and not all apps that support it work with each other. A&E family works.

With Apple TV, you have to log in to the provider, then as you add each app or launch each app, you tell it to use SSO. As with Roku, not all apps support it, and a couple actually don't work all that well.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"DBDukes" wrote:
"bvd1022" wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.

A form of "single sign-on" already works. It's not like Apple TV's, but if you log in to one app in a family of apps -- related channels all owned by the same company -- then when you go to log in to the second (or greater) related app, my experience is that before you are able to complete the process, it'll recognize that you're already logged in to a "family" app and authenticate. Doesn't work for everything, and not all apps that support it work with each other. A&E family works.

With Apple TV, you have to log in to the provider, then as you add each app or launch each app, you tell it to use SSO. As with Roku, not all apps support it, and a couple actually don't work all that well.

I use Apple TV for some of my work-related purposes so I am aware. Roku has always been my primary streaming device. The issue for me as far as the Roku TV that I am likely to buy in the next few weeks is that it will primarily be used by my family who I live with and they are technologically challenged. Any time they want to watch something that is on one of the TV Everywhere apps, I almost always have to make sure I have to have my phone with me so I can activate the apps via the codes. So, I'm looking for a way to make things a little easier for them, though it would be useful for me too.

As for Apple TV, I think it is as close to Roku without being a Roku platform that is available, but I am out front with the fact that the main reason why I needed to get an Apple TV wasn't because I was looking for an alternative to Roku, but because I needed access to a few select services that are not available on Roku currently. (Facebook Watch being the main as I cover Boxing cards that are carried on that platform.) As much as I like Apple TV, if I had access to all the services I need on Roku as would be my preference as I recommend Roku to family and friends before anything else, I probably wouldn't have invested in Apple TV. From what I've heard recently, Roku is expanding single sign-on so I'm hoping that at minimum I can login to my account online and link my provider so it's done and they'll be able to watch whatever they want. (After I spend a day or two familiarizing myself with the Roku TV so I know how to show them how to switch between live TV and the regular Roku features. Like I said, their technologically challenged.)
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"bvd1022" wrote:
I use Apple TV for some of my work-related purposes so I am aware. Roku has always been my primary streaming device. The issue for me as far as the Roku TV that I am likely to buy in the next few weeks is that it will primarily be used by my family who I live  with and they are technologically challenged. Any time they want to watch something that is on one of the TV Everywhere apps, I almost always have to make sure I have to have my phone with me so I can activate the apps via the codes. So, I'm looking for a way to make things a little easier for them, though it would be useful for me too.

As for Apple TV, I think it is as close to Roku without being a Roku platform that is available, but I am out front with the fact that the main reason why I needed to get an Apple TV wasn't because I was looking for an alternative to Roku, but because I needed access to a few select services that are not available on Roku currently. (Facebook Watch being the main as I cover Boxing cards that are carred on that platform.) As much as I like Apple TV, if I had access to all the services I need on Roku as would be my preference as I recommend Roku to family and friends before anything else, I probably wouldn't have invested in Apple TV.  From what I've heard recently, Roku is expanding single sign-on so I'm hoping that at minimum I can login to my account online and link my provider so it's done and they'll be able to watch whatever they want. (After I spend a day or two familiarizing myself with the Roku TV so I know how to show them how to switch between live TV and the regular Roku features. Like I said, their technologically challenged.)

I have to occasionally re-authenticate on the SSO-supported apps, running 8.1 software. Not often, but sometimes, so you won't get away from that completely. I don't recall having to re-authenticate on Apple TV.

Don't know how SSO may be improved on 9.0
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

The SSO only works with certain channels. I know ESPN, NBC, ABC, and FOX will link. However, Discovery, Animal Planet, Showtime, etc. wlll not. I know it does work, because I will sign into AMC and then ESPN will work, too.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos