Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KenSRQ
Level 7

Sideload Showbox?

I have a new Roku Ultra, and I'm looking for a way to sideload Showbox. I've enabled developer mode, and I downloaded the Showbox APK on my computer. When I try to upload the apk, I get an error message saying invalid package.

Is it possible to sideload Showbox?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Tajson
Level 7

Re: Sideload Showbox?

"KenSRQ" wrote:
I downloaded the Showbox APK on my computer. [...] Is it possible to sideload Showbox?

The APK is meant for an Android environment and not Roku so it is not possible to sideload the Showbox APK.
0 Kudos
KenSRQ
Level 7

Bummer. Thanks.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

There's no such thing as side-loading apps into a Roku. As noted, Roku doesn't use Android, but uses a modified, closed version of Linux. Roku developers can install unapproved apps, but they no longer permit general users access to that function. 
There is such a thing known as Private Channels, with Roku apps that can be loaded from outside the Roku Channel Store. But those channels are unsupported, and Roku reserves the right to disable and remove such channels if they violate Roku service terms, especially when it comes to pirated content. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

Yes install apk's to android, there are numerous alternatives to display android audio/video both wired and wireless, ir remote control as well.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Chicken" wrote:
Yes install apk's to android, there are numerous alternatives to display android audio/video both wired and wireless, ir remote control as well.

If you're referring to a Roku player, they don't run Android. They use a modified version of Linux, although I don't know what they base it from. No ability to sideload applications. APKs won't work on it. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:

If you're referring to a Roku player, they don't run Android. They use a modified version of Linux, although I don't know what they base it from. No ability to sideload applications. APKs won't work on it. 

Didn't I say install APK's to android?  Didn't seem confusing to me, I didn't include the four letters "Roku" probably b/c I'm considering Roku alternatives since Roku isn't designed for local streaming and otherwise chimps out in the absence of internet (because Roku is designed specifically for internet streaming, a one trick pony).
Used Android devices are cheap and capable, they don't chimp completely out when internet is unavailable, they keep plugging away.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"Chicken" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:

Didn't I say install APK's to android?  Didn't seem confusing to me, I didn't include the four letters "Roku" probably b/c I'm considering Roku alternatives since Roku isn't designed for local streaming and otherwise chimps out in the absence of internet (because Roku is designed specifically for internet streaming, a one trick pony).
Used Android devices are cheap and capable, they don't chimp completely out when internet is unavailable, they keep plugging away.

Give it a rest . Showbox doesn't work without internet either, as Showbox streams from internet based servers.. Keep repeating the same garbage in every other reply and it still won't come true.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:

Give it a rest . Showbox doesn't work without internet either, as Showbox streams from internet based servers.. Keep repeating the same garbage in every other reply and it still won't come true.

What I mean is, we'll figure it out with or without Roku's help.  I predict it will come true.
0 Kudos
MWDXER
Level 10

As others have stated that there is no side loading on the Roku. Too many complaints about pirate channels, so Roku is not going to open that door. If you want to side load get a Android box or on the inexpensive side, a Fire stick. Amazon allows you to side load. But be careful and stay away from pirated apps as they are illegal and you could find yourself in trouble.
0 Kudos