Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m1tch3ll
Reel Rookie

Shudder Subscription Through Roku Not Working

Jump to solution

I have a subscription to Shudder that I purchased through Roku. It is billed annually and shows up on my Roku account subscriptions list with a last renewal date of December 2019 (active until December 2020). I normally would log into shudder and authorize the Roku channel using a username and password created when I first activated this subscription (some years ago). However, shudder has recently required a full e-mail address to log in and will not accept the user name.

I've attempted to log in with my Roku account e-mail address, but shudder required that I change the associated shudder password (not my Roku account password) before proceeding. I did so and shudder recognizes my e-mail, but claims I do not have an active account and continues to prompt me to sign up.

So, I have an active subscription at Roku, but cannot log into the shudder Roku app/channel (nor on the shudder page) in a way that recognizes my subscription. Trying to use the old username I used to use results in a message saying they no longer allow logins without a full e-mail address.

I sent this to both Roku and shudder support. Roku support sent back a standard e-mail telling me to delete the channel, add it back and log on. (Shudder support has not responded, over 24 hours after sending the issue). The problem with this is that none of my Roku devices will allow me to delete the channel; because it is a Roku subscription, the "Remove Channel" icon is replaced with "Manage Subscription."

This is a frustrating issue.

JWM

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Shudder Subscription Through Roku Not Working

Jump to solution

@m1tch3ll 

Thanks for the information.

For more information about that channel's authentication and functionality, you'll want to contact Shudder support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Shudder support here: http://support.shudder.com/en/support/home

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@m1tch3ll 

Thanks for the information.

For more information about that channel's authentication and functionality, you'll want to contact Shudder support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Shudder support here: http://support.shudder.com/en/support/home

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
m1tch3ll
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've had a ticket in with Shudder for a week and they will not respond. Since I purchased the subscription from Roku, I would assume Roku could get involved. This sucks. The service from both Roku and Shudder on this is completely unacceptable.

Fortunately, there are many streaming options in terms of devices and channels. Perhaps the price of the device shouldn't be the only deciding factor when comparing.

J. Mitchell

JPL1026

Jump to solution

I am currently having the same issue with Shudder.  My subscription renewed in May but now I can't watch anything. How did you resolve this issue? I am still waiting to hear back from Shudder.

0 Kudos
MrStirch

Jump to solution

Shudder will tell you to cancel the subscription then sign up on there web site. They tell you they’ll refund the month you’ve already been charged for. Until they find out it’s Roku. They’ll refuse the refund and tell you Roku owes you the money. Roku won’t respond either but it’s not their fault. I actually had Joe Bobs personal assistant email them on my behalf (I messaged them on Facebook thanking them for the show and asked for other ways to support JB and they responded) Sadly there’s non fix

0 Kudos
ScrewR0ku
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m having this problem. 3 months into a year subscription for Shudder through Roku. Roku won’t let me log in (I can log in to Shudder just fine on my phone.). This might be the last straw for me getting rid of Roku. I’m about to contact my credit card company. 

0 Kudos
ScrewR0ku
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Only way I could fix it was by wiping my roku clean back to factory new and then when I added the shudder app I could log in. What a POS. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I'm not arguing with you, but you probably could have just removed the channel, rebooted, and added the channel again.  The next time you have a problem with a channel/app, try that.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ScrewR0ku
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Nope there was no option to remove the channel in the star menu. Never saw that happen before. Wasted like an hour of my time all said since I obviously have other apps I needed to reconnect and not just shudder. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@ScrewR0ku wrote:

Nope there was no option to remove the channel in the star menu. Never saw that happen before. Wasted like an hour of my time all said since I obviously have other apps I needed to reconnect and not just shudder. 

That's the result of a terrible flawed dumb absurd Roku UX/UI design - if you subscribe to services through Roku Pay, the "Remove channel" option is missing, thus precluding you from doing the #1 "Roku recommended" troubleshooting process for problematic apps of removing/restarting/reinstalling the app.

You actually have to cancel your subscription in order to remove the app, then re-subscribe after reinstalling - which at that point it makes far more sense to (re)subscribe directly from the service provider themselves (and avoid all the pitfalls of Roku Pay).

You should let Roku know what you think about this asinine Roku Pay "lock in" system: 

https://support.roku.com/contactus