Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Shudder Channel vs. "Shudder on the Roku Channel"

When I started with Roku about a month ago, I was offered what I thought was a two week free trial of Shudder. I enjoyed some of the content and allowed Roku to bill me for a month after the trial period ended. Sometime later, I set out to watch something that I knew had been released on Shudder, but I couldn't find it. Eventually, I searched for it directly and found the listing, but also learned that I didn't have access to it.

Apparently, the service that I signed up for was not Shudder, but "Shudder on the Roku Channel," which as far as I can tell, is the same thing as Shudder, at the same price, except with less content and a worse interface.

I've since downloaded the actual Shudder Channel, but I have to wait until my current subscription period is over and then sign up for an actual Shudder account. For the life of me, I can't understand why both of these services exist, much less why anyone would voluntarily sign up for the worse version at the same price. I'm also amazed that I can't find any other examples of customers complaining about this. Are people aware of it? Am I missing something?

0 Kudos