Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Shout Factory TV Channel stopped working today

I did that on Friday and have gotten no response. It is looking like the channel intentionally by the provider will no longer work on Roku.
Thank you for a reply. It is good to know that it is not on Roku's end.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Williamt100
Level 9

It appears that ShoutFactoryTV, Gravitas and Viewster all appear as "free movies & TV" channels in the channel store, but none of them will launch (or load).  I first noticed this problem a few days ago when I returned from a trip.

Coincidently, all three now appear as premium channels inside the Roku Channel -- is there a connection?
Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"Williamt100" wrote:
It appears that ShoutFactoryTV, Gravitas and Viewster all appear as "free movies & TV" channels in the channel store, but none of them will launch (or load).  I first noticed this problem a few days ago when I returned from a trip.

Coincidently, all three now appear as premium channels inside the Roku Channel -- is there a connection?

Dunno. I haven't watched Gravitas or Viewster, but ShoutFactory said (somewhere, I can't find the link [EDIT: Found it]) that they were aware of the issue and were working on it. And, it's not just Roku, but Apple TV app that's not functioning either.

Oh, ShoutFactory also has a subscription channel via Amazon, which has been available for a bit.

I'm not reading anything into any of this other than they're having an outage.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Williamt100
Level 9

Yesterday I saw that the Shout Factory TV channel updated, but it still displays an error message after launching -- different behavior than the previous version, which simply returned to the ROKU Home Screen..

Has anyone else tried the updated channel?  Are you also experiencing an error?
Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"Williamt100" wrote:
Yesterday I saw that the Shout Factory TV channel updated, but it still displays an error message after launching -- different behavior than the previous version, which simply returned to the ROKU Home Screen..

Has anyone else tried the updated channel?  Are you also experiencing an error?

While the app has updated, the behavior has not.

Actually, that's not quite true. It does briefly display an error message, which is had not done before:

○ Error

There appears to be a problem. Please try again later.

[ • OK ]

It does not wait for a response, but will exit automatically almost immediately.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@everyone 

Thanks for continuing to share your observations. We've passed this feedback along to the channel publisher and requested that they continue to investigate the issue within their channel (app). 

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Level 7

Shout Factory TV answered my email sayjng that they are "working to correct the problem"  - however -  if you go to the Roku Channel to the listings of Premium Channels, there you will find Shout Factory TV with a black and white Icon the same as the old red icon. Click on that to install it and it wants $3.00 a month. You can view the channel content without paying anything and what is there is the formerly free Shout Factory TV channel just as it was before with all of the same content but now by subscription per month. So there is nothing wrong that needs to be fixed the channel has been made a subscription channel and Roku just has not deleted the old free Shout Factory TV channel form the listings. If you want the old channel go to Roku Channel to install it and pay them what they are asking for what used to be free. The response about they are working on it - well that is just a lot of baloney.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"1775" wrote:
Shout Factory TV answered my email sayjng that they are "working to correct the problem"  - however -  if you go to the Roku Channel to the listings of Premium Channels, there you will find Shout Factory TV with a black and white Icon the same as the old red icon. Click on that to install it and it wants $3.00 a month. You can view the channel content without paying anything and what is there is the formerly free Shout Factory TV channel just as it was before with all of the same content but now by subscription per month. So there is nothing wrong that needs to be fixed the channel has been made a subscription channel and Roku just has not deleted the old free Shout Factory TV channel form the listings. If you want the old channel go to Roku Channel to install it and pay them what they are asking for what used to be free. The response about they are working on it - well that is just a lot of baloney.

What’s baloney is your analysis. The subscription model for Shout Factory TV has existed for some time, particularly on other platforms. Subscribing through Amazon has been an option for a while.

Also, the Shout Factory app (the stand-alone app) has been available on Roku and other platforms for a while, and they all broke at the same time. Shout Factory said it was an issue and they were working on it. And the Apple TV version is now working again. The Roku version updated but still exits; however the behavior before the crash is different (as mentioned in an earlier post), so they did more than change the app icon.

Seems to me like then getting it fixed on at least one platform and updating (though not fixing) the Roku app means they acknowledge the issue and are working on it. Just like they said.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
saw4846
Level 7

You can watch all the Shout Factory content for free online so I am not sold on the “ they made it a pay service now” theory. That said I wish it would get the app fixed. 
0 Kudos
Williamt100
Level 9

...I'm going through MST3K withdrawal !!!  Hopefully the channel with be operational again soon.

:shock:
Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
0 Kudos