Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Sharing streaming providers

My roommate and I would like to share our streaming accounts with each other -- instead of both of us subscribing to both YouTube TV and Philo, we'd like to split it up with the sports fan paying for YouTube and the other paying for Philo, but both of us able to watch both services.  Would we need to have both Roku devices on the same account to do this, or can we sign in to the other person's subscription (obviously with permission) from individually-owned Rokus?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Sharing streaming providers

A Roku can only be linked to one account and the only way to change the account is to perform a factory reset.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

That's not what I was asking about.

Let me try to phrase this differently -- many streaming providers (such as Hulu -- channel providers, not Roku) allow for multiple profiles to be created on a single account.  If my roommate sets up a profile for me, or I set one up for her, can we sign in to it on our own Roku devices or would we have to watch on the other person's Roku?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

@GamingKitty wrote:

That's not what I was asking about.

Let me try to phrase this differently -- many streaming providers (such as Hulu -- channel providers, not Roku) allow for multiple profiles to be created on a single account.  If my roommate sets up a profile for me, or I set one up for her, can we sign in to it on our own Roku devices or would we have to watch on the other person's Roku?

From this, I assume you each have your own Roku device, each linked to your own individual Roku account?

For any channel you subscribe to directly (i.e. account created on the channel's website) you should each be able to install the channel's Roku app to your own Roku.  You'll need to authenticate the subscription for that channel using the credentials of the owner of that channel's subscription.

Note that most subscription channels have a limit on how many streams they support at any one time.  My Acorn account, for instance, says it only supports ONE stream, so theoretically we can only watch Acorn on one Roku at a time (although we've never had a problem doing so).

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos