Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lamista
Reel Rookie

Re: Severe color/contrast distortion while Plex-streaming HEVC+EAC3 videos.

Thanks for the post swampopus, Although you found a workaround, this is not a fix. With "direct play" off the server, as you know, handles all the muscle work, the Roku just ends up being a receiving device...this should not be the case. Rokus device SHOULD be able to handle the raw files directly, which it is, but its just transcoding them wrong, so this is still a Roku issue. 

I just purchased a Roku Ultra today and noticed that all my 265 encoded MKVS were extremely saturated, like the color setting were set all the way up on the TV. I went to 264 content, everything was good.

I went to "direct play" and flipped it off...went back to the 265 content, Now I can tell my server was doing the transcoding, took about 30 secs or so for the video to start and I could see my server doing the work for Roku. The colors were corrected now..but this is just a workaround at best...Roku is not transcoding the 265 material properly and making it saturated...this needs to be fixed or I am just taking the unit back, an old android streamer can decode 265 material on the fly proeprly...no reason this device shouldn't be.

0 Kudos
kawasakikr1
Reel Rookie

Re: Severe color/contrast distortion while Plex-streaming HEVC+EAC3 videos.

I've just bought an ultra 4800 to replace my premiere plus 4630, and I've got the same problem.

If this isn't fixed soon I'll be returning it, and not buying another Roku device.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 265 coded MKV files color very saturated

Through the years Roku has shown little to no interest in local streaming.  I don't expect that to ever change.  It may get fixed someday or it may not.  If local streaming is your main interest you really should look into a device that specializes in that.  Unless and until one of the big streaming providers uses the same format(s) as you're trying to use I doubt they'll devote the resources to look into it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ftballpack
Streaming Star

Through the years Roku has shown little to no interest in local streaming.

Plex is hardly a "local streaming" only product. My main Plex server has 3.5 TB of content on a raid 5 hosted by the SoYouStart, the OVH subsidiary. Many friends and family have access to the server. It's commonly known that people host hundreds, if not thousands, of terabytes of content in the cloud, using an OVH VPS and Google Drive, but I digress.

I agree that Roku does not care to seem to care about self-hosted content. Unless Netflix, Amazon, or Disney starts putting 8-bit content in h.265, inside of an MKV, the issue is unlikely to ever be fixed, which is a shame, since the previous year's ultra model, the 4670R, works perfectly with 8-bit content in h.265, inside of an MKV.

But Netflix likes Dolby Vision, so Dolby Vision it is and who cares what else we break and fail to repair in the process of adding Dolby Vision to the 4800x.

0 Kudos
Stunod

Hi Everyone!

Just like a lot of folks here, I had the same problem.  No need for me to describe it because everyone here with the problem described it perfectly.  The "workaround" also worked for me, except that now all movies/tv shows played have to be transcoded and the movies take longer to start, fast forward, and rewind.  Plus, 4K files are a no-go unless you can direct stream, which I'm no longer doing due to oversaturated colors.

Thanks to Roku Support, I have found a fix!

On 06-13-21, I submitted a support ticket for my Roku 4800X and the next 3 replies I got from Roku support over a week were for a Roku TV.  I finally told them I was disappointed that they don't even read my emails stating EXACTLY what Roku device(s) I have and how frustrating it was to try the things they were suggesting and it wasn't even for my device, but for a Roku TV. 

I was emailed over the next week the correct information.  I gave them everything they wanted, tried everything they asked of me and the results were the same.  I even referred this thread so that they could see I'm not the only one with the problem.

I was then told they would submit it to engineering and let me know what they find.

That was 06-27-21.  I have not heard back since.

Thanks to Roku Support, however, I have found a fix.  I bought a different brand of streaming device, which was $50 more, but it's faster (by far!), the colors are correct, and it doesn't hardly ever transcode anything.  I've tried SD, HD, and UHD files and all of the video plays perfectly!  Only 7.1 surround sound transcodes because I only have 5.1 surround sound.  I have a few 80Mbps UHD movies that play just fine!  I couldn't do that before with the Roku.  

So, my suggestion is to give up on it, return it if you can, and jump ship.  I own 4 Roku's and my relatives and friends together own another 7 of them because  of my previous recommendations, however, in the future, I will be recommending a different, better product.

Thanks to everyone doing the troubleshooting and posting it here as it helped me get by for the past month and a half while waiting on a fix. If there are any questions of me, just ask and I'll help in any way that I can.

Stunod

kawasakikr1
Reel Rookie

On the website it says it will play x265 MKV files, which it will not do properly.

So the way I see it, it is false advertising.

Is the better device an Nv--ia Sh--ld?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@kawasakikr1 wrote:

On the website it says it will play x265 MKV files, which it will not do properly.

So the way I see it, it is false advertising.

Is the better device an Nv--ia Sh--ld?

You arent prevented/blocked/precluded from posting their competitor's names or model names.

Its not working properly, "false advertising" or not.

"Better" is a subjective term - its better for local streaming, but not as good for internet streaming.

0 Kudos
ftballpack
Streaming Star

On the website it says it will play x265 MKV files, which it will not do properly. So the way I see it, it is false advertising.

False advertising, idk. The device at least attempts to play x265 in an MKV container. A Defective product that the vendor has not fixed after many months, despite warranting on the product's box it plays x265 in an mkv container, probably.

"Better" is a subjective term - its better for local streaming, but not as good for internet streaming.

Agreed, "Better" is a subjective term, one device has AI upscaling built into it and plays 4k from every streaming provider that has 4k content. The other device can do Netflix "well," but could not even stream 4k Atmos from HBOMax when Wonderwoman 1984 was released, whereas the other device could do it easily. So, I'm not sure what qualities as a "better" internet streaming. Once again, I digress.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@ftballpack wrote:

Agreed, "Better" is a subjective term, one device has AI upscaling built into it and plays 4k from every streaming provider that has 4k content. The other device can do Netflix "well," but could not even stream 4k Atmos from HBOMax when Wonderwoman 1984 was released, whereas the other device could do it easily. So, I'm not sure what qualities as a "better" internet streaming. Once again, I digress

FYI, the Shield does not have Hulu 4K support (and only got 5.1 support a few weeks ago) - but Roku does, and has (both), for nearly 2 years now.

Every 4K/HDR capable Roku device I own (4) played HBO Max in 4K/HDR/DV w/Atmos without issue w/WW84 (many others reported the same, both here and in other forums) - perhaps something was/is amiss with your Roku setup in combination with your other HT devices.

Apparently it was "better" for us, and "worse" for you, but that just demonstrates the subjectivity - not all devices work the same in all setups/conditions, especially given connected configuration differences.

0 Kudos
techjunkie
Channel Surfer

If your problem is isolated to Plex, I'd suggest checking and make sure you don't have any custom Roku profiles in your plex setting.  Like I said, after deleting my custom profile and using Plex's default one, I no longer have color issues.  Also, I've never had saturation problems with other apps (Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc...)

0 Kudos