Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mklcyng
Reel Rookie

Re: Severe color/contrast distortion while Plex-streaming HEVC+EAC3 videos.

Also having this problem on my new Roku Ultra. Did not have the problem with the Premiere. The Premiere played h265 directly with the colors looking ok but would drop frames occasionally. So I got the Ultra and same videos run fluidly but are super dark and weird blown out contrast. Sucks considering I bought it specifically to direct play h265. It's now unplugged and in storage, I'm back to the Premiere for now.

Tags (1)
ftballpack
Streaming Star

Everything that I've encoded with handbrake using those setting plays perfectly fine.

That is to be expected. As previous testing has shown, Handbreak does not enter video color elements into the container MKV it creates. If the audio is dual-channel or multichannel AC3, the Roku can direct play the video and everything will function properly.

If the MKV container itself contains color elements for the video inside the MKV or the audio is transcoded, the glitch will appear, as the Plex transcoder is based on FFmpeg which adds colors elements to videos in an MKV container whenever the Plex Server does any transcoding.

Your results are 100% in-line with all of the previous testing on this issue.

bump909
Channel Surfer

So it's been over a year and no official fix.. just some workarounds?  I'm finding irony in the fact that I bought a Roku Ultra (top of the line model at the time) to ensure I never had an issue at the client level.. yet the older/lower tier models are more future proofed.  Maybe I should pull my old Roku 3 out of storage and stop holding my breath. 😞

no1jam
Binge Watcher

*Crickets*

alphil
Reel Rookie

@no1jam wrote:

*Crickets*

Yep, I’m assuming it’ll never be fixed so I’ve moved back to FireTV. Maybe some day. 

kirkh
Reel Rookie

Yes, I've noticed this as well with anything encoded with x265 on my latest Roku Ultra 2021.  If I play the same movie via the Plex client on the latest Google Chromecast, it looks fine.  I don't know if it's an issue with the Roku Plex client or the Roku hardware itself, but it's definitely an issue.

kirkh
Reel Rookie

Sorry, to be clear, this is with my Roku Ultra 4800X.

Mklcyng
Reel Rookie

Roku is dead to me.  Thank you for the tip on ChromeCast.

Jethro90210
Reel Rookie

Same/similar issue playing through Emby app on express 4k.  Works fine in the rooms with chromecast.  Just the Roku sucks.

2ka
Streaming Star

Re: I think I may have this mystery solved

I take it back.  I have seen other examples where you have to delete the color mastering meta information from the MKV header as well as the color information to avoid the Roku bug.  Or you can remux the file and use an MP4 container.

0 Kudos