Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ahslan
Binge Watcher

Re: Severe color/contrast distortion while Plex-streaming HEVC+EAC3 videos.

Nope. I think this is a problem with 2021 hardware models as I don't have this issue on my 2019 Roku Streaming Stick+.

I jumped ship and got an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k Max.

0 Kudos
wrenchmonkey
Reel Rookie

Mine are the 2020 model Roku Ultra.

0 Kudos
Ahslan
Binge Watcher

@wrenchmonkey wrote:

Mine are the 2020 model Roku Ultra.

Yeah, that has the Realtek chipset which is similar to my 2021 Roku Express 4k+

0 Kudos
DA123
Reel Rookie

Any official response form ROKU on this yet?????

0 Kudos
pshoule
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku doesn't pass 5.1 EAC3 Audio

Hello Jonathan,

Although the spec says that my Roku Ultra 4660X running software 10.5.0 build 4208-46 should be able to process MKV files containing HEVC video and EAC3 audio streaming via Roku Media Player from my Synology DS418Play well, it does not completely work. The video is fine and looks great but there is no audio output on my Bose Soundtouch 130. The Bose device is not capable of handling the EAC3 format but it should get processed in the Roku. I have many of the Audio settings on Roku but to no avail. Can you help?

Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
ftballpack
Streaming Star

Wrong thread topic: Roku doesn't pass 5.1 EAC3 Audio

Hello Jonathan,

Although the spec says that my Roku Ultra 4660X running software 10.5.0 build 4208-46 should be able to process MKV files containing HEVC video and EAC3 audio streaming via Roku Media Player from my Synology DS418Play well, it does not completely work. The video is fine and looks great but there is no audio output on my Bose Soundtouch 130. The Bose device is not capable of handling the EAC3 format but it should get processed in the Roku. I have many of the Audio settings on Roku but to no avail. Can you help?

Regards,

Simon

This is a different issue from what this thread is about. This thread is about a color/display issue with 8-bit HEVC content. Nothing in this thread deals with EAC3 audio issues. Incorrectly merged threads.

0 Kudos
ftballpack
Streaming Star

Wrong thread topic: Roku Streaming Stick 4k 2021 EAC3 playback

I have the new Roku Streaming Stick 4k 2021 and unable to play EAC3 audio.

Under Settings > audio I can select: auto, dolby, dts...

This is an entirely different issue than what this thread is about. Let's not merge two different issues into one thread.

jsharret
Binge Watcher

Re: Wrong thread topic: Roku Streaming Stick 4k 2021 EAC3 playback

Try changing the Volume Mode.  For some reason I have had issues with no audio passing and the only way to fix it was to change the Volume Mode, which somehow reset the Roku and made it pass audio (you can even change it back to the original setting, there is something about changing this setting that fixed this for me).  You can access it by hitting * when playing.

https://support.roku.com/article/226802507

0 Kudos
ftballpack
Streaming Star

What bit level are you HEVC files? Default is probably 8 bit unless you tell it otherwise..

I need to test further, but looks like it can't handle 10 bit correctly still..

The cause of the issue and possible workarounds are well established. If HEVC, MKV files, have color space header info in the container itself, newer Rokus glitch and display the video back as Dolby Vision (aka 12-bit) even if the Roku is set to only support 8-bit video and the video itself is only 8-bit.

Removing the color space info works as a "workaround" for HEVC MKV files with dual-channel audio and HEVC MKV files with multichannel AC3 audio.

Unfortunately Rokus do not play multichannel AAC audio properly, so Plex, Emby, and Jellyfin all transcode the audio to AC3 and remux the video. FFmpeg and the FFmpeg-based Plex transcoders in these products remux the HEVC video and newly transcoded AC3 audio into an MKV with color space info in the header. This is why HEVC MP4s with multichannel AAC can even trigger the transcoding issue that only applies to MKV files, because Plex, Emby, and Jellyfin remux the MP4s with incompatible audio to MKVs with compatible audio and in the process insert MKV header info which causes the display issues.

More info and testing methodology for discovering the cause of the issue. The cause of the issue has been "known" with a high level of certainty since August 2021. https://forums.plex.tv/t/roku-ultra-2020-aka-4800x-direct-play-colors-distorted-when-playing-back-he...

no1jam
Binge Watcher

Well, after fighting with this for sometime, I have my own workarounds.

Scenario:

- Playback HEVC encoded files presents with orange / red tint

- Resolved by turning on subtitles, which causes Plex to transcode to h264 - color back to expected

Notes

- I mostly notice this with DVD TV shows, not movies so much.

- This only happens on Samsung TV's so far. I had a TCL Roku TV that doesn't do this so far, and also a Vizio with a slightly older Roku Ultra that this doesn't happen with either.

- I haven't tested it with other vendors (firestick, etc...), but from this thread it seems that I'm not alone and other devices may not have this problem.

If this is Roku specific, is there a fix in the works?

edit: removed an incorrect info

0 Kudos