Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sonique
Level 7

Search bar

I bought a 32” tlc. Roku tv today and it doesn’t have a search bar. I am very angry because  I want to search for apps by typing them in rather that scrolling through all the apps individually. I’ve seen posts that says roku is not supported in my region. I live in the Bahamas is there anyway I can change my region settings. The Tv is nice but I think it stupid to not have the same features world wide I’m never buying from this company again. I NEED ANSWERS 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DBDukes
Level 16

Re: Search bar

You're in an unsupported region. Roku doesn't sell their devices outside supported regions, although anyone can import anything from anywhere. The supported regions are:

• United States
  • Canada
  • France
  • United Kingdom
  • Argentina
  • Brazil
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Honduras
  • Mexico
  • Nicaragua
  • Panama
  • Peru

Roku features may work outside those areas, but there is no guarantee or support outside a supported region. I would suggest returning the device. I'd also suggest not buying from that retailer in the future, as they are the ones that misled you, not Roku.

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos
Sonique
Level 7

so there is no other way to possibly get the search bar? Can I just change my region in settings or something? 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 16

Not by Roku support. I'm simply another Roku user such as you, although I've used Roku devices for over 10 years. What I can share with you is my experience and advice. I've never tried to do what you're asking. I'm not sure it's even possible.

You see, Roku has all those regions I listed, as well as an additional "Rest Of The World" region, which is where you fall. What each device will display, in both terms of features and available apps, is determined by the physical location (Rest Of The World) and any region-specific firmware. Roku can and has forced the firmware when moving from supported region to a different supported region -- for example, someone with a Roku moving from the US to the UK may get this. 

Now, is there a Rest Of The World firmware? I expect not, as they don't intend the devices for use there.

You may wonder why Roku would do things this way. The reason is to meet legal restrictions regarding where content is allowed to be shown. Roku won't do or allow anything that would get them in legal country in which they are sold.

Now, as I said, I'm not from Roku, nor can I speak for Roku, but I can share with you my understanding of things. Others my stop by and offer additional information that might allow you to accomplish what you're wanting. I'm certainly not the resident expert; I'm merely an experience user, nothing more.

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos