Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sharon1
Level 7

Search Results Vudu falsely saying free

I've always relied heavily on Roku's search engine to find movies/tv shows I want to watch, either by title or an actor I am interested in.  Until today, the results have always been accurate--I believe Vudu is intentionally providing false information to Roku search, a BAIT and SWITCH tactic!  I've never had Roku list a movie channel as providing a movie free (ad supported) when it was not.  The results have been great. 

Today however, Vudu lists a movie as FREE ad supported, both in my Roku search, AND on the Vudo page search--it clearly indicates FREE, ad supported on their site, but then when you choose it, it is only offered as buy/rent.  Anyone else finding VUDU to be playing this bait and switch game? 

And is there a way to report them to Roku?  I've always found Roku's results to be accurate and once ONE COMPANY pulls **bleep** like this and gets away with it, EVERYONE will start trying to get away with it and soon the search results will be worthless!

23 REPLIES 23\
SoCalFishR
Level 7

Re: Search Results Vudu falsely saying free

Same issue almost a year later. Have multiple movies on my feed listed as free on Vudu but when I go there, the movies are rent or buy only.

Gizmu
Level 9

Yep same here and is annoying. I just posted this issue today. Also many live channels are not working.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@SoCalFishR 

@Gizmu 

Vudu has a section of ad-supported content. That's free. You can watch free content via Vudu.

You can also purchase stuff. That doesn't mean the app doesn't offer free content. It does offer free content.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@SoCalFishR @Gizmu

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What specific titles are you seeing this issue occur?

With more detailed information we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Gizmu
Level 9

At least my issue and I think the other guy as well is that movies appeared on my feed as free but when I go to Vudu for instance, is not free. Buy or rent. The movie Zardoz was the last one on my feed showing as "free". I dont know if that "free" refres to the app itself which actually is free like Vudu and some others or if its the movie that is free with ads.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Gizmu 

I follow you now. Thanks for that. Yes, as you indicated, Zardoz is showing as "free" under Vudu in a Roku search, but it is not showing as free within Vudu, either the Roku app or the Vudu Website. It's for rental or purchase only.

Whether or not that's a glitch in the data that Vudu feeds to Roku, I don't know. Since Vudu is now the provider of the Roku Movie/TV Store, replacing Fandango Now, I would expect Vudu to do a better job of providing accurate data to Roku. Perhaps @RokuDanny-R can find out some information about the cause of the issue.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Gizmu
Level 9

Right! ok so you understood what I meant. I think I have another one like that "No Small Affair" which shows as free but it ain't. Hope it gets fixed, thanks dude!

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Gizmu

Thanks for the follow up.

I have passed along your concerns and the information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Gizmu
Level 9

Thanks Danny!

0 Kudos