Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Windy1824
Reel Rookie

Re: Screen goes dim after Hulu advertisements

Jump to solution

Same here! It’s Only my Hisense that has the issue!

0 Kudos
Windy1824
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Not sure what you mean. What channel in the Home Screen? If you go to an app on the Home Screen, like the Hulu App, if you hit the * you get the options list on the left side of the screen.

0 Kudos
Darin
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Obviously this was already tried multiple times. Just read the discussion the very first page is about channel updates. lol fix the problem or go away 

WENDYLV
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@Windy1824 they seriously must think we are complete idiots! How many ways do we have to explain that the only time the issue which is(our screens go dim after commercials when watching hulu original series) occurs is on hulu. It's not our tvs...its a hulu problem. We have tried EVERYTHING! JUST FIX THE PROBLEM @HULU I am so tired of not getting to watch my hulu original series that I pay for!

Windy1824
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Found a fix, but you will need to do this after each commercial.

after a commercial, press the * (option button)...Scroll down to “Picture Mode” and < arrow over to the next mode (normal/sports/vivid/low power/movie) And, then go back to “Normal Mode” that will fix the problem “Until” the next commercial. It takes about 10 secs. of your time, but at least you can watch your “Hulu Originals” shows.

daz1138
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have found on my Hisense TV I only need to press the * and return to the video and the problem is fixed until the next commercial. 

58” Hisense 58R6+ Roku TV C232X
Roku Ultra and Express 4K+
Vizio SB3651N-H6 5.1 surround SoundBar
MarkFS

Jump to solution

I see responses that say it's Hulu's fault. I disagree. I have the same thing happening on paramount+. Almost every time one episode ends and the 'click for next episode' overlay comes on, the screen dims. Once the new episode starts, I have to go toggle the picture mode to get it to brighten. 

I've also had the problem while watching Netflix. 

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @MarkFS

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you reply here with the model number of your Roku device? It can be found in Settings > System > About

Furthermore, if you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings System System restart > Restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Please keep us updated.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
TraLaLa1

Jump to solution

Thank you!  That is a great point!  I watched all the seasons of Homeland (not a HULU series) and never had an issue.  I'm now watching "The Great", "Handmaid's tale" and previously watched "Dopesick" and that is when my experiences with coming back from commercials and the screen being completely dimmed.  I hadn't recognized that it was the "HULU Originals" only.  I constantly also have to do a quick adjustment from any setting (movie/sports/vivid/normal) to any other one of those settings.  I prefer my Normal, so I switch to whichever is next, I think sports, and then switch it right back to normal in the same second.  Press the * key again to get out of the menu.  It's aggravating every single time.  

The more specific info we have, the better we can.... Figure out what Hulu should be figuring out. We've got it pretty isolated. 

Sammijc913

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue with my roku tv as well. Only happens with Hulh, and happens after EVERY commercial. I can't believe we aren't getting help! It seems like this problem has been going on for months!