Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tcerami
Reel Rookie

Screen goes dim after Hulu advertisements

Jump to solution

On both of my HiSense 50" Roku TV's, coming out of advertisements while watching Hulu, the screen goes dim and can barely be seen. It is not 100% dark, by probably 70-80% dark.

The situation can be temporarily resolved by pressing *, then adjusting the Picture Mode setting to any option. The issue will repeat at the next series of ads.

This might have also happened when testing with Amazon Prime, but it's very consistent with Hulu.

Talked with the HeSense people and they referred me to Roku because it's a software problem.

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Windy1824
Reel Rookie

Re: Screen goes dim after Hulu advertisements

Jump to solution

Found a fix, but you will need to do this after each commercial.

after a commercial, press the * (option button)...Scroll down to “Picture Mode” and < arrow over to the next mode (normal/sports/vivid/low power/movie) And, then go back to “Normal Mode” that will fix the problem “Until” the next commercial. It takes about 10 secs. of your time, but at least you can watch your “Hulu Originals” shows.

View solution in original post

62 REPLIES 62
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@tcerami 

Is this only happening on Hulu? Does it happen on other services that include ads?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
DaveRicketts
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Having the same issue. It only kicks in on Hulu and only after a  commercial break. Super frustrating. 

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@DaveRicketts @tcerami 

It is most likely caused by the latest Hulu app update:  6.49.1

Report issue to Roku/Hulu:

Highlight Hulu/Options (*)/Give us Feedback/Poor video or audio quality

https://help.hulu.com/s/contactsupport

Khodges55

Jump to solution

Mine is doing the same thing. I can get it to work if I rewind to the advertisement dot and then fast forward to a spot in the show I'm watching. Sometimes even when I do that it gets super bright. It takes me a couple of times after each commercial to go through the same steps for it to work right. It's annoying. I've done the picture mode setting and it didnt work. I hope the issue gets resolved soon. 

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Khodges55

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing. 

Channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel developer themselves. We suggest reaching out to the channel's customer support team to report the issue and get help. There's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

You can check @StreamerUser's post above for the link to contact Hulu.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
ALn2it

Jump to solution

I have the same issue with my Hisense 50R6E3 Roku TV.

I have called Hulu and asked them to open a ticket. They tell me they will be "tracking" this issue.

Y'all should do the same, Hulu phone #1-877-824-4858

The more noise we make the sooner it will get resolved.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The Hulu app was updated today 9/7 to version 6.49.3 - check to see if this dimming issue (and others) are resolved.

0 Kudos
tcerami
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Updated to 6.49 build 3 - Problem still exists.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@tcerami 

Make sure you contact Hulu CS to let them know it persists with 6.49.3