Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Screen goes black when selecting channel in YouTube TV. Basically, YTTV app crashes!

When I select a program from my library that is currently playing live, it asks me if I want to play from beginning.  I select play from beginning and the screen goes black.  If I select join live I can rewind all the way to the beginning with no issue. It seems to be a problem with the yttv software working with Roku as I do not have this problem on my firestick at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Screen goes black when selecting channel in YouTube TV. Basically, YTTV app crashes!

Trust me there is no issue with the connection. I used turn off everything, reset, check connection blah,blah,blah.  I have ethernet connected Roku Ultra and it still happens. If I just let it sit blank for a minute it will eventually load the channel. Every time it is when a commercial is on the channel. 

Highlighted
Level 8

This has been happening to me for about 3 months, ever since Roku did an update of some sort.  It happens on all 3 of my 4K sticks no matter what tv I'm watching.  It happens only rarely with my Roku Ultra.  Tonight it took me 5 trys to finally land on How to Get Away With Murder on my local ABC affiliate.  I NEVER experience this issue when watching HBO Now or Netflix.  It's strictly a Roku/YTTV issue and I've just about had it with this whole issue.  I have contacted both Roku and YouTube TV to no avail, and as everyone has stated, Roku points the blame on YouTube TV.

YTTV doesn't even respond back after opening a ticket.  They're useless.  As a previous person mentioned, perhaps the only way to get a response is to speak with your hard-earned $$$.

Highlighted
Level 9

I don't want to spread undue optimism but I think YTTV may have fixed this issue for me.  I have been actively working with them for a few weeks now and as of Monday (I think)  I got an email saying to exit the app and restart.  I did so and the problem persisted.  I then deleted and re-added the app and it persisted.  HOWEVER, starting later that day and for all of this week, I have had no re-occurrence of the black screen issue.  YTTV is standing by for me to send logs if the problem repeats.

Bottom line - you may want to delete and re-add the YTTV channel and see if that fixes your problem.  If not, I'd keep opening tickets and sending logs - YTTV "can" be responsive and I'm not sure what I did to get a response but I'm feeling pretty good about the possibility they fixed the specific issue causing a black screen for me (always possible there are multiple variables some of which don't come into play for my instance of the issue).

Good luck

Highlighted
Level 10

@BLG56 What is the Roku device you are using, and what is the version of YTTV? I'd like to compare to what I have, especially the YTTV version. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

What is the version of your YTTV app. I have 1.0 build 91000019. Problem was still happening for me but I didn't try the remove/ reinstall yet.  maybe they pushed an update to you as a test.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thank you for that update! Let us know if your luck holds out. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

@BLG56 I just uninstalled YTTV, restarted Roku, Installed YTTV, but no difference. Still happening for me. I checked version and I have YTTV version 1.0 Build 91000019. This was last updated February 2020. Also, I'm running on Roku 4k Streaming Stick +.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Same for me.  Uninstalled, restarted, reinstalled.  Same YTTV version, same roku streaming stick +.  On the very first try after doing this it black screened when I launched a channel.  Interesting that someone else posted that it happens during commercials.  I have been testing and for some channels i will watch on another device and wait for a commercial break and then launch the channel on the TV with a roku and it will hang sometimes but not all the time.  Can't say this is the case all the time for me but if I want to force it to happen the odds are much higher for a black screen when launching the channel during a commercial break.

Highlighted
Level 9

Great question - details matter on this.

version ytv2020040714rc0

device  TV(Platform_detail_ott), ROKU/4670RW/MC2/2019, Cobalt (119.lts.5.205289-gold), Roku (9.20)

The above is a ROKU ULTRA

They did not mention any special "push" but I guess it's possible.  Also, there was a lag between the "it is fixed" notification and the problem going away - maybe a few hours.

0 Kudos