Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Screen goes black when selecting channel in YouTube TV. Basically, YTTV app crashes!

Same issues here.  Getting black screen on a variety of channels.  Also, agree with those who observe the black screen behavior on live broadcasts and also on saved programs that are currently live when choosing to start from the beginning.  I've been in regular contact with YTTV technical support who have been quite responsive, but no solutions yet.  They claimed that a new version released in the last few days fixed the problem, but I haven't noticed any difference in the erratic behavior.  I have a TCL series 6 TV current year model, but it seems like the same problem is occurring on many Roku devices.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Re: Screen goes black when selecting channel in YouTube TV. Basically, YTTV app crashes!

If you're referring to version ytv2020040714rc0, I have this version on my Roku 4k Streaming Stick + and it's not fixed. This happens about 5 times a day for me. It's unbearable!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I have found about 5 threads with this same exact issue on reddit going back to 2018. I never see a solution. The posts in those threads just stop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have been having this issue for a week now and it's annoying. I have a 4K Streaming Stick+.  So far it's only happening on the stick connected to our living room TV.  None of the others have this issue.  And it only seems to be with my account. If I switch to one of the other accounts the issue didn't happen. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

My YTTV app version is up to ytv2020041714rc0 now. That in itself has made no difference with the issue. I can almost recreate the black screen  at will. But yesterday on the tv I watch the most I got the latest Roku OS 9.3 update which is currently rolling out. My others TVs are still at 9.2. On the tv with 9.3, I could not reproduce the black screen issue all day. Don't want to jump to conclusions yet because I have had periods in the past where the problem seems fixed then returns. Take note if your Roku's get upgraded to 9.3 and if that improves anything.

Highlighted
Level 8

What Roku device are you using?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Mine haven't been upgraded yet. Forced a check but it says it's up to date. Still running 9.2.  I will definitely keep in the lookout for 9.3.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I have a TCL 65r625 and it hasn't updated yet.  The TCL blog says that Roku TVs will update "sometime this summer."  I guess I will have to live with the YTTV problem until then.  Seems like a long time for a system software rollout, but I imagine it must need to be tested on each device before rolling out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

All of our TV's but one are the Streaming Stick+ (3810X).  The master bedroom is a 3811X.  On that one we've been experiencing the check your connection errors intermittently while watching live TV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I have 4 Streaming Stick Plus.  All 4 get the black screen issue.  Only 1 of the 4 sticks got upgraded to 9.3 so far.  That is the one that has shown improvement but again I have had false alarms before where the problem seems to go away  and then returns.

@Chess1  The "check your connections" message is different than the black screen issue.  That sounds more like weak connectivity to the router if you are seeing it often.  I have gotten that one on rare occasions where connectivity was fine and a restart of the Roku has cleared it. Some have also talked about clearing Roku cache.

Clear Cache
From the home menu:
Press Home 5 times
Press Up 1 time
Press Rewind 2 times
Press Fast Forward 2 times
It'll go to My Feed, seem like it's doing nothing for 15 or 30 seconds,
then the screen will go black as it reboots.

0 Kudos