Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Screen goes black when selecting channel in YouTube TV. Basically, YTTV app crashes!

Anecdotally speaking, it seemed to me it happened more frequently on some channels than others but cannot say for sure.  I've seen 2 failures since last Monday when I was told it was fixed.  For me, it is MUCH better but there still appear to be some problems floating around out there.  I have let them know as such.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Screen goes black when selecting channel in YouTube TV. Basically, YTTV app crashes!

Ok. So here is an interesting test. I did the same sequence repeatedly. Launched YTTV app, select a channel to see if it loads or gives a black screen, clicked home to exit YTTV. Then repeat this same sequence over and over with the same channel. I did this with Fox News Channel about 20 times and got about 7 black screens. I then did the same exact test with CNN about 35 times and CNN launched perfectly all 35 times, never black screened once. So I am thinking this occurs on certain channels and not on others. I often flip flop between these 2 and other news channels and observed this pattern of FNC hanging.  Not meant to be political in any way. Wondering if others would try the same test with any channel where they see this problem more frequently.

Highlighted
Level 8

I will give that a shot. Thank you for your due diligence and response. I'll keep you posted on my results.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

My issue is only when I open YouTube TV and click on a recorded program in my library. The blackout happens 90% of the time when I click on a program that is currently live and I select start from beginning as opposed to join live.  when I select start from beginning the screen goes black and never starts the program I have to hit home button and restart from Roku home.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Same issue. I do not have this problem on my firestick as well!!! only on Roku when I open YouTube TV and click on a recorded program in my library. The blackout happens 90% of the time when I click on a program that is currently live and I select start from beginning as opposed to join live.  when I select start from beginning the screen goes black and never starts the program I have to hit home button and restart from Roku home.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I'm so happy you just said that because the only issue I have is with Fox news on Roku with YouTube TV!!!  I was trying to keep politics out of it LOL however I did the same thing with MSNBC and CNN like you did and had no issue.  I really hope it's a software issue with Fox news YouTube TV and Roku working together and not a deeper State issue LOL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I sent this info to YTTV. Sent them 3 sets of logs where I reproduced the issue several times. They haven't come back yet but they gave me 2 weeks free, LOL. I haven't noticed issue on my library recordings but will test it. I originally didn't correlate it to specific channels but thought it occurred more during commercial breaks. YTTV came back on that one and said there was in fact an issue that was occurring during commercial breaks and is now fixed. But I let them know it's not fixed for me.

Highlighted
Level 8

It happens 90% of time with Fox news the other 10% has been with Amazon prime free playing a CBS access show in my library.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I can't say I've kept track of which channels it's happening with, but I think it's pretty random. We watch a lot of CNN and MSNBC and we have been experiencing the issue, since we embarked on this roku yttv experience. Aside from those channels, we are bouncing around HGTV, ESPN, TCM and local affiliates most of the time.

0 Kudos
Level 10

I'm still waiting for YTTV to roll out the change. I'm on the previous version and this black screen **bleep** is killing me! It happens on ABC for me, constantly.

0 Kudos