Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Screen goes black when selecting channel in YouTube TV. Basically, YTTV app crashes!

See my post from earlier today for the YTTV version information - this is on a ROKU ULTRA.  Based on reading today's responses to my "success post" - I'd say some folks are on a different/older version of YTTV than I have.  Looks like either this was a special push to test the fix for me and/or there is a staged push being done or planned.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Screen goes black when selecting channel in YouTube TV. Basically, YTTV app crashes!

The version you have, version ytv2020040714rc0,  is definitely newer than what I have.  Looking at the version number you can see it was created on 04/07 with the rc0 at the end meaning release candidate 0.  So you must have had a beta version pushed to you.

Level 9

Agree - I didn't see any other posts with versions that look this current.  Hoping that means there is a fix coming on a broad-based basis soon for all others.  I emailed YTTV support and let them know about this group of people on ROKU forum.

Highlighted
Level 10

Praying for a new YTTV release very soon to fix this issue. It makes watching unbearable, when I have to keep exiting or restarting the Roku to get this thing to work. Thanks for the glimmer of hope! Keep us informed if you have further issues, or if it's fixed for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Turns out I also have version ytv2020040714rc0 like @BLG56 but I have been black screening many times today. Has the issue reappeared for you?  With my bill date coming up n a few days I think I am going to put my YTTV on a 2 month pause now that pause is an option. Will start doing some free trialing.  Finished a sling tv 2 week trial. May try hulu live but I can't give up AMC while Better Call Saul is still on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same app version (ending in 4rc0) on my Ultra and have been having the blackout problem consistently.  I have two other TVs with Roku sticks in the house, plus two TVs with Roku built-in - no problems with any of them, not even once - just the Ultra.  So I was surprised to see on this thread that folks are having the issue with sticks.  Tried running the Ultra on wireless instead of wired internet connection - no difference, the black outs happen either way.  Even tried a new Ultra swapped out with the existing Ultra - no difference.  Not only isn’t this getting better, it seems to be happening more often.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

My guess is there are multiple variables causing this issue.  I too was seeing more frequent back screen freezes prior to the fix.  I've had what ever "fix" was applied as of last Monday and have seen no failures since.  Still crossing my fingers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I have not yet seen the issue resurface.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I think there are multiple variables contributing to the freeze and perhaps mine are different than other folks.  I don't see how anyone can use the combination of YTTV and ROKU (for me Ultra) with the issue occurring.  Frankly, I was about to get out my FireTV and dust it off when the problem was fixed for me as FireTV (both the "dongle" and the stick) work just fine with YTTV.

Highlighted
Level 10

I’m glad it’s working for you. I wish they’d roll it out to more people. It’s unbearable on my 4k streaming stick +. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Got an email from YTTV today stating the  black screen problem is corrected. But it is not corrected at least not for me. Did all the usual stuff. Closed and reopened app, still had the problem. Removed the app, restarted reinstalled, problem still happening. Anyway, I am thinking this issue is more susceptible on some channels but never or rarely happens on others. For those still having this issue, would you say it is happening more frequently on certain channels?

0 Kudos