Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Screen goes black when selecting channel in YouTube TV. Basically, YTTV app crashes!

I'm afraid all we can do as users is rate the channel 1 star and wait for enough people to do the same for YouTube and/or Roku to care enough to do something about it.

Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Screen goes black when selecting channel in YouTube TV. Basically, YTTV app crashes!

@zqagreed.  I'm going to do that and I am actively working an open ticket with Youtube.  They seem a bit more engaged than Roku who doesn't seem to get a rat's behind about this.  The other thing we can do is vote with our $$.  I came to Roku from Amazon FireTV and may go back to my old FireTV as it NEVER has this problem and frankly, I'm tired of restarting the YTTV app several times a day.

0 Kudos
Level 19

Thanks for continuing to share your reports. We're working to assist the channel provider in looking into this issue, and helping pass along feedback. We don't have any updates to share at the moment, but I will continue to keep everyone posted if I hear anything. 

In the meantime, we would recommend you contact the channel provider directly to report the behavior you are seeing, and follow up to request further assistance. https://support.google.com/youtubetv/?hl=en#topic=7071745

We appreciate your patience—please stay tuned. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Just want to add my experience before heading over to youtube support.  I have 3 new Roku streaming stick + and a 4th that I bought 2 years ago.  I experience this exact problem on all 4 roku devices several times per day.  It only happens with YTTV but I spend most of my time in that app.  When it happens I hit home and come back into YTTV.  If I go back to the same channel the same thing happens.  I have found that if I choose any other channel, that channel will display.  I can then switch back to the channel that previously had the black screen and it will load properly. I have a newer 65 inch LG 4K tv, an older 55 inch Vizio, a 32 inch Sharp and a 32 inch Samsung.  This happens on all of these across multiple resolutions.  I have tried changing the display setting from auto detect to manual on all of them but makes no difference.  I have factory reset these devices.  I have removed all applications other than a handful that I use regularly.  This problem has been going on too long.  It is disgraceful that all roku can do is point us to the app provider, youtube.  It may be a youtube issue but an app like youtube tv has the capability to bring millions of cable customers over to roku. Roku should be assembling a team of engineers to work with youtube engineers to fix this. This combination of products got me to drop Verizon Fios but I am starting to wonder if this was the right decision. 

Highlighted
Level 9

I can confirm I have exactly the same symptoms and experiences.  I actually had moved from Roku 3 to Amazon FireTV and during a recent move of my house began moving from FireTV to Roku Ultra (only one device so far).  This problem does NOT happen at all with the FireTV/YTTV.  I am also working with YouTube TV support but frankly, I cannot stand having to go through the machinations so many times while trying to do something as simple as tuning to a show.  For now, my only option is to move back to FireTV.  Except for the lack of Kodi support, I prefer the Roku but it's just too big a pain in the **bleep** to use and no matter whose problem it is - the Roku is the device that doesn't work.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Going on 4 months of owning this Roku Streaming Stick + with this issue, and still not a solution in sight. I'm watching on my Amazon Fire Stick without issue. I prefer to use the Roku because the interface is so much better, but the Roku makes using Youtube TV unwatchable. When the **bleep** are they going to fix this already???

Highlighted
Level 9

Pretty much same here.  I HAVE been working with YouTube TV - they have videos of the problem along with multiple logs but they don't appear to be making progress.  Still not sure why YouTube and Roku cannot combine efforts.  In the interim - ROKU FAILS and FireTV does not.  The recurrence of the problem being so frequent as to make the ROKU unusable.

I guess Roku figures they don't have to fix this to retain their market share.

Highlighted
Level 7

I have a Roku Ultra and it does the same thing in YoutubeTV quite often. It has also done it when I go to Netflix. It just goes blank. Will go to other channels like Hulu but then when I try Netflix again it goes black. 

Highlighted

Just adding our 2-cents worth.  We too have switched over to YouTube TV and are experiencing the same blackouts on ROKU.  YTTV works fine through our X-Box, so it seems the culprit is ROKU.  Perhaps, after all these years, it is time to drop them.  Hitting them in their pocket book might get them to listen and prompt some action. 

Highlighted
Level 8

I agree. For the love of God, Roku, work with YouTubetv to fix this problem. 

0 Kudos