Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 19

Re: Screen goes black when selecting channel in YouTube TV. Basically, YTTV app crashes!

@SHM Thanks for the follow-up. If multiple channels are experiencing an issue with loading content (sometimes a black screen occurs in a channel when it is unable to load the content it is attempting to retrieve), this usually indicates an issue with your network or connection. Having ample bandwidth available doesn't always rule out network connection or communication related issues that can occur. Is your router broadcasting a 2.4 or 5GHz wireless network? Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on your router to something different, that is not in use by another network nearby? Your ISP or the wireless router manufacturer can help you do this. (A reminder that Roku devices do not support DFS wireless channels, so make sure to avoid selecting one of those.) 

- Does this same behavior occur in other channels, such as 'The Roku Channel', 'Crackle', 'Hulu, 'Pluto TV', etc.? 

- If you connect your Roku device to a different network, such as a mobile hotspot, do you observe the same black screen/loading issues? 

I would continue to follow up with YouTubeTV support, and reach out to Netflix support to see what other suggestions or advice they may be able to offer. 

Please keep us posted. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Screen goes black when selecting channel in YouTube TV. Basically, YTTV app crashes!

Thanks, Tanner. 
I’m connecting to the 5Ghz SSID. The Roku devices are the only devices connecting. I setup everything else to use the 2.4Ghz. The router is 30 feet away with only one wall in between. I checked nearby routers and none are on the same channel. I have the router set to auto for channel width and  auto for channel number. Wifi speed test comes back at 256Mb/219Mb. 

I have Frndly TV which is very similar to YouTube TV (wife loves her Hallmark movies) and that works perfectly. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thank you for the feedback, Tanner. I'm primarily experiencing this problem on our downstairs tv, with the youtube tv. I have the router set to automatically select between 2.4 and 5 and the downstairs tv is in the same room as the router. It's the only device running at 5 Ghz. Everything else is 2.4. I know we don't have a bandwith issue, but your information gives me a few things to investigate this weekend. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Well, I heard back from Roku support. They're passing the buck to Youtube! Typical. Below is their reply to my reporting the issue to them.

Thank you for your response. We apologize for the delayed response. We understand that you are unable to watch the YouTube TV in your Roku device. We regret the inconvenience caused. It's unfortunate to know that you feel this way.

At this point, it looks like we’ll need to go ahead and get you in touch with the experts over at YouTube support so they can continue looking into this issue for you directly. They have better insight to their channel so they will help you to resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@SHM Thanks for following up. We have reported this issue to YouTube and investigated alongside them. This appears to relate to a content issue that they will need to address in their systems, and isn't something we're able to resolve unfortunately. We have requested as quick of resolution as possible, but I haven't heard any further updates. Continuing to follow up with YouTube support would the best way to get additional information regarding the issue. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Tanner,

Do you have a reference number I can give them? If Roku made contact with Youtube for this issue, and they state it's something on their end and they are aware of it, they must have issued a reference number for the repair ticket. Otherwise, the person I reach out to will have no clue and will be unhelpful. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@SHM  Our internal process doesn't use that type of tracking. Our team has been in direct contact, and have provided the reports that we've heard. Reaching out and reporting the issue to them, with specific details about the content you were watching and when the issue occurred would be the route to go. 

I am keeping a close eye on this, and will be sure to share any updates that I hear. 

Thanks,

Tanner 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

I'm spinning my wheels with Youtube Support. Been going around in circles getting nowhere fast.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

From my google searches, it sure seems like this has been a known issue for a while. It would be nice if the Roku and Youtube TV experts actually worked together and pooled resources to find a fix for it. It would be in their mutual interest to find a solution, as it extends to their bottom lines.

Highlighted
Level 9

Tanner,

I'd like to add some input here.  I changed from Amazon FireTV to ROKU a few months ago.  Since then, I too have been seeing the intermittent (but frequent) black screen / frozen YouTube app situation.  This happens when I switch from one program to another and requires me to start another ROKU channel then restart YTTV.

I have tested my bandwidth and have no issues, I have removed and re-added the YouTube TV app all with no luck.

My input here is specifically that this problem NEVER happened with Amazon FireTV.  If, as you claim, it is a YTTV content issue, then Amazon FireTV has found a way to handle the content issue(s).  If it is an app issue, I don't understand why Roku isn't concerned enough to address the app issue directly with YTTV.  I'm on the verge of switching back to Amazon just to avoid this issue as it has a serious negative impact on my viewing experience.

I hope this input helps as I like the ROKU but cannot continue to use it with this particular problem continuing.