Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Screen Saver Weather Time missing weather?

No, I wouldn't say there are any resources that would be specific to this. As Roku channels go, it's pretty simple. The tough part was figuring out the interface to weather.gov. There are plenty of generic Roku samples on github, but they tend to be audio/video and UI related. I'm going to have to rewrite this screensaver by the end of the year since it uses the old SDK which is (may be?) going away.

I also created this channel that has satellite and radar loops. I've never been real happy with its performance and I really need to rewrite it as well. Also, the GOES East satellite has gone AWOL.

These kind of channels are more closely related to game development on Roku than the usual video channels.

-JT
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"renojim" wrote:
Ok, it looks like weather.gov is finally switching to HTTPS.  I've fixed the private version; get it here:
https://my.roku.com/add/CLOCPRI

If you weren't using it before, you'll have to select it from the screensaver settings and go through the "Custom settings" again.

I'll try to update the public (channel store) version, but who knows how long that will take or if it's even possible since I haven't updated it to use the new Roku SDK (shudders).

-JT

Mine quit working again. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

I thought it was just mine. The reporting stations are often in volunteer's backyards, so they sometimes go offline. Mine has been working off and on the last few days, but if you're seeing a problem as well, maybe there's something more going on. I'll take a look.

-JT
0 Kudos
Level 7

"renojim" wrote:
No, I wouldn't say there are any resources that would be specific to this.  As Roku channels go, it's pretty simple.  The tough part was figuring out the interface to weather.gov.  There are plenty of generic Roku samples on github, but they tend to be audio/video and UI related.  I'm going to have to rewrite this screensaver by the end of the year since it uses the old SDK which is (may be?) going away.

I also created this channel that has satellite and radar loops.  I've never been real happy with its performance and I really need to rewrite it as well.  Also, the GOES East satellite has gone AWOL.

These kind of channels are more closely related to game development on Roku than the usual video channels.

-JT

If you don't mind me asking. How were you able to loop video of radar feeds in a screensaver with the "no video" limitation of screensavers?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

You're mistaking my simple LED Time and Weather screensaver for another or for my channel that grabs NOAA satellite and radar loops that's not a screensaver (but could be; there's no video involved). I just display text using a 7-segment LED-like font.

All the satellite and radar loops I've ever seen are simply a series of images spaced a few minutes to an hour apart which are displayed one after another.

-JT
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

hey guys, it looks like the WX forcast is offline again.  Ive tried several zipcodes and the public and private versions of the screensaver... @renojim, is this screensaver still alive?

-J
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

I updated the private version (I'm not sure I can update the public version without converting to the new SDK, so it may be broken for a while). Make sure you have version 2.5 build 5. There may also be something going on with weather.gov since I'm seeing "Service Unavailable" responses at times.

-JT
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

"renojim" wrote:
I updated the private version (I'm not sure I can update the public version without converting to the new SDK, so it may be broken for a while).  Make sure you have version 2.5 build 5.  There may also be something going on with weather.gov since I'm seeing "Service Unavailable" responses at times.

-JT

Not sure how a bog-standard user (like me) would find the version (private) - looked all over the place to no avail. I did, however, remove, then re-add (from the link up the previous page). Nothing but the time displays, but that's not unusual out here in the boonies (Greater Cumberland Regional Airport - 165 Terminal Loop, Wiley Ford, WV 26767). I suppose it'll just start working normally again at some point, like it usually does.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Hi @renojim, I'm reporting from Florida, that I too had to switch to the private channel to get the weather back.  I was starting to wonder if maybe I had made a wrong network setting after the weather info suddenly disappeared.  I uninstalled the public channel before adding the private one.  I'm pretty sure I added the private one as the Roku site gave me the non certified warning.

I'll follow this thread for a bit to see when a public fix is issued.

I'm glad it wasn't my network causing the issue.  My router runs DD-WRT, and sometimes it's easy to make a wrong setting, or even encounter bugs there as that's also beta.

FYI, my units are a 2017, and 2018 Ultra, with RokuOS 9.1 build 4068 installed.

One other thing, once I've installed a private channel, is the Roku able to keep it auto updated along with the public versions from the channel store?
Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

"DubTaylor" wrote:
Not sure how a bog-standard user (like me) would find the version (private) - looked all over the place to no avail.

I couldn't find a way either. Smiley Happy Seems like a minor oversight on Roku's part. I had assumed you could highlight it in the screen of screensavers and press the Options button like on the home screen, but that doesn't work. Anyway, the published date does show up and the private channel was last updated 5/1/19 while the public version was last updated last year.

I tried you ZIP code with the private version and it gives the current weather. Now if I can only figure out why I can't change screensavers on my mother's XS from any of the Roku supplied ones I'll get her weather working again, too. Smiley Very Happy

-JT
0 Kudos