Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lgantous

Screen Reader won’t stop talking

I have disabled it and turned everything else off but it continues to talk and it is really annoying!!

9 REPLIES 9
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Screen Reader won’t stop talking

@Lgantous 

You went to Settings > Accessibility > Screen reader ?

Does this happen only when videos are playing, or when you are navigating your menu system (such as while performing the steps I listed above)?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Lgantous

@DBDukes  it only happens while videos are playing 

0 Kudos
Lgantous

@DBDukes  And yes I have went to Settings and accessibility and all of that 

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Lgantous-

The Screen Reader announces Roku menu options and choices.  It does not give a running description of action on the screen during a program.

Wrong language or verbal description of action on screen when watching program
Some programs contain multiple audio tracks that can be selected, such as different languages or verbal action descriptions for the visually impaired.

The Roku default method of accessing your choice of audio track is to press the * key on your Roku remote while viewing the program and examining the options presented. These options may vary from channel to channel, depending on which are supported by each individual channel.

But more and more channels are not using the Roku default but substituting their own method of access -- I'm guessing this is so they will have consistent controls with versions of their app running on platforms other than Roku. Often these options are accessed by pressing the up and/or down cursor control keys while viewing the program to pop the channel's own control options on the screen.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
DBDukes

@Lgantous wrote:

... it only happens while videos are playing 

That's not the screen reader. That's the audio track.

Some content provides audio tracks that include descriptions. This is usually only a problem with foreign language films that include an English track and and English track with descriptions. They will sometimes mark the wrong one as default in English speaking locales.

Sometimes, they only include English with descriptions, forcing captions to be used by sighted viewers.

Check the audio track on the content. How to do that depends on the app. Often you access via the Options button, but not always. Ensure your track is not one with descriptions.

And, the source (video service) would be the ones responsible for fixing this, if the default is incorrect.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Glj

This is happening to me too

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Glj,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Have you tried to enable the "Screen reader" feature, you can turn off the Screen reader by pressing the * button on your remote 4 times quickly?

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
karenree

I can not get it to stop telling me when I change the volume or anything else.

I have pushed the * button and nothing I do will turn this darn thing off.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @karenree,

Thanks for your post. 

We're here to help you disable the text-to-speech screen reader on your Roku device. For clarification, did you press the Star * button on your remote 4 consecutive times quickly? You may also go to Settings > Accessibility > Screen reader and toggle the switch to turn it off.

You may also refer to this link: How to enable the text-to-speech screen reader on your Roku® streaming device.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos