Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CouchTater
Level 7

[SOLVED] Channels won't launch

Thank you for allowing me to join. I am a new Roku owner having bought a Roku Ultra today. I initially had trouble getting the update to go through it took several attempts but was successful. After several attempts I was able to get YouTube TV to download and play. I receive the home page fine and am connected. I have not been able to get any other channels added. It will say that a channel has been added but when I attempt to open it returns to the "Go to channel" menu. When I try to add it spins for a second or two and then says channel has been added but will not launch. This has happened on multiple channels. I initially was not getting a good connection but moving my Roku seems to have corrected that. I average around 35-40 mbps. About ready to box it up and return it to the store and stick with satellite. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
27 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Channels won't launch

It could be a temporary network "thing" on Roku's side.. try again tomorrow.. also, try rebooting your network equipment.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Mike_H
Level 7

I just replaced a Roku 1 with a Roku 3 I had.  Went to update the channels (maybe 20? or so) but 3 of them added but will not open.  Similar to what OP says above.  Did individual updates, checked again, removed channels, rebooted, re-added channels.  Same result on these 3.  Options?
0 Kudos
Tuthpik19
Level 7

I am seeing the same today. All I did was reset my player due to audio sync issues. Now I can't get more than half the channels to launch. Only Netflix, Vudu, Prime. Even the Roku Channel won't work. Factory reset, reinstalled channels, reset network. No help. Android TV working like a champ upstairs, but not the Roku. What a fail. Any help Roku people?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

As Roku devices get older, they often no longer support features that are added to the latest version of a channel. They may appear in the channel store and even appear to install, but they won't work. I would have thought a Roku 3 would still have been powerful enough, but I checked and noticed that it was released in March 2013, so older than I thought. That's what Roku labels a 3rd generation device, and the current models are 7th generation. There's been a lot of updates, both hardware and to the Roku OS, as well as the programming language used for channel creation, that might make something that old less than desirable. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
okaussie3
Level 7

I have the same problem with the Streaming Stick +.  Even rebooted my router and still only get  You Tube and You Tube TV.  Event he ROKU channel will not load.
Called Tech Support and they will have to call me back due to a wait of at least 30 minutes.
0 Kudos
RobRoy
Level 7

I have a Roku Ultra. The issue of channels not launching started today 8/25/2019 about three hours ago. The affected channels are Starz, Showtime Anytime, HBO GO, Pandora, Fox Now, FX Now, NBC, ABC, AMC, SYFY, TNT, USA and The Weather Network. Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Prime Music are the only channels that launch. These are all the channels I have. I've rebooted my network router twice and restarted the Roku about six times. I was able to to launch them all about 2 hours ago then the behavior stated again just before I posted this. At least I found I found this thread which are reporting the same issue today.

Rob
_
"Life is tough It's even tougher if your stupid" John Wayne
Roku Ultra 4660RW Version: 9.1.0 Build 4919-46 | Prime Video/Music, Netflix, HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, Vudu, Starz, Pandora, ABC, FOX, FX, AMC, NBC, SYFY, TNT, USA, Weather Network.
0 Kudos
M12345
Level 7

I’m having the same issue today only. I can launch Amazon Prime and Netflix but not SlingTV, HBO or any other channels. When I click on a channel it starts to load and then immediately goes back to the home screen. I have deleted the channels, restarted the Roku, reinstalled the channels, etc. My Roku is only a couple years old. Hope there’s a fix!
0 Kudos

Similar issue here as all of you. Funny thing is I have 2 other Roku's in the house (just the Roku Streaming Stick+) which work fine.  It's only the Ultra that is acting up. Netflix, Prime Video, and Vudu are the only channels that will load up. HBO Now, AT&T Now (formerly Directv Now), Hulu, Showtime, and a bunch of others will not load. It's gotta be something going on with Roku somewhere. Is anyone having this problem on anything other than the Ultra?
0 Kudos
glenilak
Level 7

I'm having the same issue with a brand new premiere+ player - fresh out of the box.  Very frustrating experience!
0 Kudos