Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mxsxend1982
Level 7

RokuExpress - YouTube App Freezing Frequently

Hello Roku users and fans,

We have a RokuExpress and we have already tried factory reset, software updates, etc. Including the one that YouTube released just a couple days ago. We still have problems persisting.

Sometimes we will start playing something on YouTube and after a couple seconds the picture will freeze but the audio will continue. The only way to get out of this loop is to go Home, do a hard reset or sometimes it will reset on its own.

Sometimes we will start playing something and it will just completely freeze up requiring a hard reset. Every once in a while it will do its own reset.

One more thing is that we have the Bandwidth Saver turned off and it will STILL sometimes stop after about 30-60 minutes and ask if we would like to continue. This is what turning off the Bandwidth Saver is supposed to resolve.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Does this unit need to be replaced? Please help!

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: RokuExpress - YouTube App Freezing Frequently

Have you tried:
1) Removing the YouTube channel
2) Restarting the Roku (don't skip this step, it ensures no vestiges of the old installation remain in memory)
3) Reinstalling the channel.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
jmahone4
Level 8

I have the same freezing problem that started yesterday 1/19/21. I have tried updating, reinstalled youtube, restart. This has no effect on the problem.

istelecom
Level 8

here same problem.. since yesterday 18/01/2021... but with roku 4 ..... reset, uninstall. reinstall, power off for 15 min, etc.... and problem with youtube app again 

NJCat96
Level 7

I have the same problem with the update from yesterday.....can't even start youtube up.....it's gotta be something to do with the last update.....trying to get us to buy youtube red??

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

As @makaiguy mentioned, please make sure when removing a channel, that you first remove the channel, restart the device, then add the channel back again, specifically in that order.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
jmahone4
Level 8

Hello,

I have followed all the recommended steps without any change in the freezing problem. Are there other solutions? Can I speak to someone at Roku to collaborate on a finding a fix to this ongoing problem? Thank you.

Joe

0 Kudos
Wulfdan
Level 7

Danny, 

I have a Roku stick, and I am experiencing the same problems.  When i try to open youtube it locks up the system and it hard reboots after a couple of minutes.

I have removed youtube, hard reset, and reinstalled youtube and am still having the same problem.  

Please help.

0 Kudos
Wulfdan
Level 7

Managed to get it working again by doing a factory reset on my device.  Major pain to get everything set back up but Youtube is working for the moment.  I hope the community can come up with a better solution.

EDIT

Youtube only worked until the first power-cycle.  After a reboot Youtube is back to crashing the system when it is launched.

We have a bug gentlemen.

0 Kudos
agkcpa
Level 7

Re: Roku - YouTube App Freezing Frequently

As of 1/272021 I am unable to use Youtube on my Roku.  It freezes.

I tried the whole uninstall, system restart, reinstall.

I did that three times.  Still, it freezes every time I try to load Youtube.

All of my other channels work fine.

0 Kudos