Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
makarov123
Level 7

Roku2XD and MLBTV problems

I've been a very satisfied owner of a Roku2XD for a number of years (at least 7-8). I have no or very limited problems with your product watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, and a handful of other channels. 

However, beginning last year with the new app, MLBTV is a nightmare. I endured very poor streaming performance (games running 10+ minutes behind live broadcast) last season, until around August when I began being forced to re-login EVERY DAY. This is the only channel/app that does this. I understand Roku doesn't develop the apps themselves (if you do, you need to roll back or fix this), but I believe you have the responsibility to address this with MLBTV on behalf of legacy users such as myself.

The failure of my Roku to save login data is an every day event this spring training season. Since my subscription email address is somewhat long, it takes me several minutes to login every day. Please address this issue with MLBTV. They won't do anything about it, except tell me to delete/re-add the channel and make sure my Roku firmware is up to date (it is).

Oh, and the load time (since MLBTV added the ballpark photo splash screens last year) is horrible too. Takes 2+ minutes to get to the current game display when selecting the MLBTV channel. I think they added more bells, whistles, graphics to their app last year, and it's straining legacy hardware.

Thank you for your prompt attention. I see no reason to buy a newer version of your product to fix an obvious problem with the app.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku2XD and MLBTV problems

Unfortunately, Roku has discontinued support for apps written in a previous programming language, and all apps are supposed to be updated to the new programming language. An old player like yours doesn't support the new programming language, so you can't get the newer, updated versions. In some cases you can't get channels at all. The 2 XD was introduced almost 8 years ago. I have a 2 XS of the same vintage, and it's unusable because it can't support the latest apps. Your only real option is to replace it with a current generation model. Honestly, I believe you'll find it $40 (or less) well spent. Your player is 2nd generation, while the latest are 7th. There's a huge difference in performance in that time span. 
That load time issue you're seeing is solely due to the lack of performance of your player. I see the same thing with YouTube on my XS. Finally, Roku did not create the MLB channel/app. You would have to contact MLB to find out if they are going to support that old of a player. My guess is the answer will be no. Sorry.  Smiley Sad
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

"makarov123" wrote:
I've been a very satisfied owner of a Roku2XD for a number of years (at least 7-8). I have no or very limited problems with your product watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, and a handful of other channels. 

However, beginning last year with the new app, MLBTV is a nightmare. I endured very poor streaming performance (games running 10+ minutes behind live broadcast) last season, until around August when I began being forced to re-login EVERY DAY. This is the only channel/app that does this. I understand Roku doesn't develop the apps themselves (if you do, you need to roll back or fix this), but I believe you have the responsibility to address this with MLBTV on behalf of legacy users such as myself.

The failure of my Roku to save login data is an every day event this spring training season. Since my subscription email address is somewhat long, it takes me several minutes to login every day. Please address this issue with MLBTV. They won't do anything about it, except tell me to delete/re-add the channel and make sure my Roku firmware is up to date (it is).

Oh, and the load time (since MLBTV added the ballpark photo splash screens last year) is horrible too. Takes 2+ minutes to get to the current game display when selecting the MLBTV channel. I think they added more bells, whistles, graphics to their app last year, and it's straining legacy hardware.

Thank you for your prompt attention. I see no reason to buy a newer version of your product to fix an obvious problem with the app.

You just need a newer Roku.. 8 years for streaming tech is a long time these days. For a cell phone, for a tablet, a Roku, an Apple TV, and heck, even a TV.

Just treat yourself to a nice upgrade to your Roku, for under $50.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
makarov123
Level 7

Hard to believe, but I deleted a bunch of unused channels (I think some just appeared after various firmware updates) and now it appears to be retaining my login information. Looking forward to see if it lasts.

edit: 6 April - no problems so far - it's been retaining my login information and streaming games with better performance than I've had in years - wish someone from Roku or MLBTV had suggested deleting unused channels - I took my list down to the 5 (Netflix, Prime, MLBTV, NASA, and 1 other) that I regularly watch.
0 Kudos