Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku zooms in on tv after every commercial on Hulu

Jump to solution

As with others I have the same problem with hulu only.  I don't want to dumb down to 720p but the zoom is making me crazy.   I back out and restart and I get so many ads again then still the zoom.  Please someone at hulu fix this!

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Having the same issue. Trying the 720p option also. Fingers crossed

Highlighted

Jump to solution

9 pages of “yeah happens to me too!” **bleep**ing morons!!

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Seriously though.. we all get there's a problem. Does anyone (ROKU) have a solution.. wtf!!??!

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

This is not monitored for support. We are stuck.

I'm relaying what worked for me, only. If this doesn't work for you, please don't come back to me on it. I am just as frustrated as anyone else here, but we have to try to help ourselves (and each other).

After all the troubleshooting a person can do, I did this.

I removed HULU (I know, I know) by clicking on it and hit "remove channel."

I pulled the ROKU HDMI out and unplugged it from the wall.

I unplugged my TV and went for a walk (about 20 minutes)

I plugged my TV in, my ROKU cord back in, and put the HDMI cord back in.

I went to settings on ROKU and changed the auto-detect to 720.

Only then, did I go back in and add the HULU channel again (by going to ROKU Streaming Channels, find HULU, click on it and hit Add Channel).

(NOTE): if you cannot find HULU, go back out to search on the ROKU menu, type in HULU, and it should pop up on the right-hand side at the top. Click on it and add the channel.

I added directions to help the ones who are just tuning in with their first-ever troubleshooting.

I hope this helps someone. Its been two full days and into the nights and no problem.

Good luck. I mean that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

What worked for me (so far) is going to settings on ROKU and changing auto-detect to 720.

I had previously tried removing and re-adding the HULU channel.  That didn't work.  I didn't repeat that when changing auto-detect to 720p.

I have since watched several episodes of a TV show without the zooming issue.  Like someone else mentioned, the commercials are still kind of wonky, but they don't zoom in.  At first it seemed like commercial breaks only lasted 30 seconds.  Later I was getting 90 second commercial breaks with the first 30 seconds of black screen.  I've been tolerating that as long as the zoom problem hasn't recurred.  In a few days I'll try to go back to auto-detect and see if the problem is fixed.  The Hulu chat agent thought the problem would be resolved in less than a week.  That's the reason they only gave me a 1 week credit on my bill.  It's annoying to have a 4K TV and a 4K ROKU and to have to downgrade to 720p to accommodate Hulu's bug.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

It seems to have worked for me to switch off of auto detect. I have it set to 1080p and I’m not having any issues so far. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. Roku express on Samsung. Very Frustrating. I have noticed after 9 pages of consumer's complaints, that no one from Roku has made any attempt to reply to any of the posts. I am beginning to think it is a marketing scheme. If you buy the service without commercials, does this still happen?? Makes me wonder if that's the whole plan to start with. 

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

People, this is not a monitored site.

There are several places where this question is at—all with different wording and versions, and all with no help through HULU or ROKU.

"Playback Issues, Audio and Video,"

"Device Features, Settings, & Updates," is another one,

"Channel Issues and Question," and even under

"Setup and Troubleshooting."

You are welcome to check them out.

I have been all over the place trying to find the answer (Chat, phone, email) and the internet on each site that even mentions TV screen - none of which worked.

Through trial and error, I found what worked for me as I stated in a previous post. I gave the exact steps I took and the directions on how to do it.

Trying it is up to you. If you skip one step, it may not work. If you follow every step, it just might, but I can make no guarantees. It worked and is still working three days and nights later. Before I did this, I couldn't watch for three hours without this problem happening.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

After what others are saying on this and other forums, it has more to do with the "auto detect". After I stopped the "auto detect" 5 days ago I have not had the "Zoom" problem. I also re-set from 1080 to 720. Several others have stated that they are still at 1080 but stopped the "auto detect" and they are no longer having the problem. The other thing I did was call HULU costumer service and the remotely logged me out and had me re-sign in. Not sure which of these worked but it seems to have solved my problem. Just a reminder - Someone in your life should have told you when you were growing up - "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything"