Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eddie_T
Level 9

Roku won't let me cut the cable it asks for cable provider!

What good is Roku for cutting the cable if Roku asks me to list cable provider to watch network TV???

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku won't let me cut the cable it asks for cable provider!

If you use an app that requires authentication against a cable/satellite provider, yes it will do that.

You didn't tell us what app it is. There may be other ways of getting that content. We need more info.

But to answer your question, it works great for me, and has worked great for me since I cut cable in 2011. It depends on how you use the device. Tell us what your after -- and be specific -- and we'll see if we can help.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Eddie_T
Level 9

I was trying to watch CBS and NBC shows which are free OTA but Roku is asking for provider.

0 Kudos
trudyfruit
Level 7

looking for ans. to the same question.

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

@Eddie_T wrote:

I was trying to watch CBS and NBC shows which are free OTA but Roku is asking for provider.

A suggestion is look for the app locast which is your local broadcasters of all four major networks, plus the sub channels that you would get if you watched TV through a digital HD antenna. The only thing is it will constantly bug you to donate $5 to support local broadcasting.  But while yes, OTA channels are free, since the free OTA networks pay the cable companies the right to broadcast their content, that is why you have to give your cable provider if you want to watch the current shows. If you want to watch classic shows on those apps , no cable provider is required. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

CBS can be live streamed with the Paramount+ app, with the $10/month plan. It used to be available from the older CBS All Access app with a cheaper plan, but the rebranding came with changes. That was CBS/Paramount that made that call.

Not really a good way to steam NBC live. NBC/Comcast hasn't made live streaming apps available for any platform.

If you are in antenna range of local stations that are affiliates of those, you could put up an antenna and watch that way. There are ways to put the antenna signal on your network with devices such as Tablo TV and Air TV (Air TV 2 or Air TV Anywhere would be the best options for that line).

Hulu ($6/month) carries a lot of NBC programming that you can watch next day (actually, within a few hours). It is very much like an automatic DVR.

Of course, there are options for live streaming services that include local channels. They are essentially streaming packages similar to cable, for those that want such things. They run $50/month and up.

I suppose it comes down to whether you want to watch live, or delayed (similar to DVR) content.

There are a lot of options.

One other thing that may or may not apply. Some people get a Roku (or Fire TV or Apple TV etc) thinking that they can watch everything they watched before just like they had cable but not have cable and not have to pay anything for service. I don't know if that's you or not. But that isn't how it works. If you were led to believe that, you were misled. However, Roku (and the other devices) give you lots of options. I watch what I want a lot cheaper. It's different, but it's cheaper. For me anyway.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Eddie_T
Level 9

So, I wasted money on ROKU and still need cable.

0 Kudos
Eddie_T
Level 9

No I wasn't expecting cable content but I did expect OTA TV programs that I may have missed to be available.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Eddie_T wrote:

So, I wasted money on ROKU and still need cable.

@Eddie_T wrote:

No I wasn't expecting cable content but I did expect OTA TV programs that I may have missed to be available.

If you truly only want NBC and CBS, then you should weigh how much cable is costing you. Add the current cost of cable and Internet together, then figure out the price of getting NBC and CBS programming via streaming.

CBS is $10/month for Paramount+ (the tier that includes live CBS programming, along with on-demand CBS, plus other Paramount content). Many NBC shows can be watched after the fact, similar to DVR recording, via Hulu, which is $6/month, and includes ABC and Fox programming, plus other content. Those two services get you NBC and CBS programs that you may have missed, as you said you were after.

If that's acceptable, then your streaming cost is $16/month. Compare that plus Internet to what you're paying today for cable and Internet.

It depends of your location more than anything what you can pick up over the air (OTA) for free. The only way to pick up OTA for free is exactly that: over the air. Are you close enough to the TV towers to use an antenna? https://www.antennaweb.org 

There is also a service called Locast https://locast.org that is available in some markets, but not everywhere. It's technically free, but I understand you'll want to go with a $5/month plan to make it usable. If you're in a market, that's an option.

All of those are available via Roku. Antenna can be used without Roku, of course, but there are systems you can purchase that make the TV signals as well as DVR recordings available on your network, which you can watch via Roku.

DBDukes

0 Kudos