Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffrok
Level 12

Roku with iTunes Home Sharing

You can blame apple, they make everything so proprietary sometimes that it's difficult for people to make channels like the one you're asking for.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Zundfolge
Level 7

Re: Roku with iTunes Home Sharing

Install Plex on your Mac and the Plex App on your Roku, it has an iTunes app.

Then you can also stream local video files stored on your Mac via your Roku as well (and Plex has an YouTube app).

Note that your Mac Mini will have to be an Intel Mac, not an G4
0 Kudos
Zundfolge
Level 7

"jefffetrow" wrote:
Plex, huh? I'll check that out. I'd need to install on the hosting computer as well?

Yes, and since Plex is actually running on your Mac instead of on the Roku, it'll transcode a TON of video formats on the fly that your Roku would never be able to run.

Honestly Plex more than doubles the value of a Roku ... it has other functions that we only whisper about here Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Sorry I misguided you.. I am admittedly a little anti-Apple (not a hater, but not a liker either Smiley Wink)
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
jfetrow
Level 7

Ok. So, plex is installed on my roku, ios devices and Mac. The plex on the Mac did its search thing, finding all the media and such (although it didn't seem to keep the iTunes info. It has TV shows as movies, etc). Now I just don't know how to set it up so I can connect to it from my roku. I'm sure plex has instructions on their site, but any guidance/pointers here? Please?
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

As a possible alternative, there are a couple of private Roku channels that emulate native AirPlay, trimeplay and NoovoCast/Bleess (the latter requires an OS X desktop helper program). But neither currently handles DRM-protected streaming, although trime is said to be working on it.

If your movie/TV library were from iTunes purchases, I believe they would use DRM to stream. But if they came from rips or elsewhere, might work...
0 Kudos
jfetrow
Level 7

Thanks for the leads. I'll follow up on them!
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

because Apple uses DRM restrictions on video to stop you from doing this -- you can use Noteburner to re-rip those files and remove DRM if you like
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
paulebird
Level 7

So since I am a complete dolt and new to this, and all, forums (since they stopped me from watching Dish) could you please runs that by me easy like? I have a Roku but I am in Canada and can't get all the Roku channels that you guys get. I am lucky though, and just got my main laptop back from the repair shop and the iTunes app has not been updated yet. only on the spare so far., I still have my playlist.
0 Kudos
DaveJ03
Level 7

iTunes DRM doesn't allow you sync iTunes movies to Roku or other non-iTunes-compatible devices. But if you can find out an iTunes tool to delete the DRM, you can freely transfer the movies from iTunes to watch via Roku. In this case, I'd recommend DRmare M4V Converter, an alternative to Requiem for lossless conversion. 
0 Kudos