Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mazigazi
Level 7

Roku update possibly ruined Plex?

Hi,
Forgive me for not being too technical about this: We noticed Saturday morning that Plex went to a grey blank screen. My account icon and "Welcome" were at the top of the page, but nothing else could be accessed. I went to our basement television (using a much older Roku) and it worked fine (as did Plex on our tablets, phones and web browsers).

So, I went directly to Plex' forums and combed through options, et cetera. The most I could figure is that it the Roku upstairs was to blame, not Plex.  So, I did a full factory reset on our upstairs Roku (HD 2500x). After that, it now loaded movies back onto Plex, but it moved dreadfully slow and used a really simple and odd interface. Even worse, it now played movies, but no sound at all. After a minute or so, it'd simply reboot the Roku!

A bit more research on the web, and it turns out that Roku did a massive update recently (?); which might have caused this problem.

We were actually on the verge of buying a new television upstairs, and I thought we'd upgrade to a newer Roku. But, now, I'm not so sure, and am wondering about switching to a competitor. I've been using Rokus for almost ten years and have never had a single issue. In fact, I've often highly recommended them to friends and co-workers. What's going on now? Is there a way to uninstall the update and revert the Roku to it's previous state? Will a new update be coming that can fix this? I'd really RATHER remain a happy Roku user than switch!!

thanks!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
twiceover
Level 10

Re: Roku update possibly ruined Plex?

Hard to say.  Roku has an update and Plex also has a recent update.  Either of which could cause issues.

Be sure to uninstall Plex app
REBOOT THE ROKU <-- Must do this
Reinstall the Plex app

See if you still have problems.  That said, the 2500x is seriously old.  Any newer device will (in general) perform much better.  

Plex is working great for me on all my devices both with Current Roku firmware and Updated Plex app.
0 Kudos
mazigazi
Level 7

"twiceover" wrote:

Reinstall the Plex app

tried that (again) and now it's worse! clicking on Plex now just reboots Roku without even entering into Plex!
argh! I might try getting a newer Roku... but I'm a bit hesitant.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

"mazigazi" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

Reinstall the Plex app

tried that (again) and now it's worse! clicking on Plex now just reboots Roku without even entering into Plex!
Thanks!

Before you buy something new, give it a few days and see if both/either releases a fix. 
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"mazigazi" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

Reinstall the Plex app

Thanks!

I certainly understand the hesitancy. However, a bit more information may be useful to those making recommendations.

I would generally agree that a Roku HD model 2500 would be due for an upgrade. It was discontinued in 2013 and replaced with the Roku 1 (model 2710). In its day, and for a time after, it was a solid device, despite its shortcomings (720p max, slow processor), but it did have the advantage of connecting to old TVs with composite inputs. The only Roku that does that today is the Roku Express+ ($40 at Walmart). Still, why upgrade if it works?

The other thing is that you've not said the version of software you're using. Never say "latest" as that might mean different things depending on the device and the time within an update cycle. Always give the exact version, to include build number. Also, the software version of the app may be helpful.

That specific information may not make any difference regarding anyone's recommendation, but it may be helpful.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Plex broke Plex on Roku. Plain and simple.

Plex's 'New and Improved' Roku app won't run on anything less than a Roku 3.

This is either by design, or comes as a complete surprise to Plex, but either way once Plex does something stupid, they never fix it.

Upgrade or move over to Emby. Those are, unfortunately your only options.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Personal opinion, for what that's worth.  Smiley LOL With the new Plex channel that was released this past week, it's entirely possible that the new one won't work right on that old of a box. They changed the app significantly, and the older Roku players may just not be able to handle the new version. Unfortunately, with Roku you have no ability to block a channel update, so you get the new version, like it or not. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

It's not working on my Roku 1 either, and as DBDukes pointed out the 1 is a newer model than the HD 2500, i'm hoping for an update but not counting on one. I'm not sure if Plex Classic is still around, but it might be an option.

edit - just remembered this, so plex classic isn't an option, cringing at my comment about no functionality being lost in that thread, that didn't age very well.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Here's something of particular interest for Roku... if you're upset about that 'feature' that kicks an idle app back to the Roku Home Screen (for updates and such) all you need to do is leave that Plex App Abomination open... it does NOT kick back to Roku Home.

Too bad that 'feature' wasn't baked into the old Roku App - or we wouldn't be talking that much about this disaster.
0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 7

the new plex stinks,
it is not intuitive and they removed features from it. if you want similar functionality I suggest emby
if you use emby though I suggest you make profiles and make it so only the ones you want can delete media(if you want this)
I personally want to only be able to delete media directly on the server and not remotely
0 Kudos