Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smackflad
Level 7

Roku unable to add channels

Hello I have a roku express and I am trying to add a channel named Plex. I have already installed Netflix and its working but when I go to my browser and login to the roku store so I can add the channel all the channels(included Netflix and Plex) have a gray button saying "+ Add channel" when I added Netflix it didn't say that, also I had previously add youtube and deleted it and now I cant re-add it. My roku is updated so I don't think that that's the problem, any ideas? what does the gray button mean?
thanks a lot
0 Kudos
16 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Roku unable to add channels

What country are you in? It could be that Plex is geo-restricted.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
smackflad
Level 7

I am at Greece, after some research I found that plex is international so I don't think that that's the case.
I can not install any channel on roku.
I can only have my already downloaded, Netflix.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the notes here!

As mentioned above, channel providers may not offer access to their channels in all regions. Availability is determined by each channel provider directly. The good news—both YouTube and Netflix tend to work in most all locations. 

If you're searching for a channel on your device and aren't finding it, we'd recommend reaching out to the channel provider to inquire further above availability in your area. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
smackflad
Level 7

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
Thanks for the notes here!

As mentioned above, channel providers may not offer access to their channels in all regions. Availability is determined by each channel provider directly. The good news—both YouTube and Netflix tend to work in most all locations. 

If you're searching for a channel on your device and aren't finding it, we'd recommend reaching out to the channel provider to inquire further above availability in your area. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Hey, I understand what you are saying but I can not download ANY channel in my roku. Not only plex or youtube. When I go the browser roku store and search for some channels every channel has a gray button instead of the regular blue button. Is this normal? last time I needed to download something I could download every channel in the store now I cant?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Unfortunately, the online Roku Channel store is not available in all regions. 

You'll want to search directly on your device for any available channels. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
DeBeers
Level 7

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:

Thanks,
Tanner

Hi dude!
I Have the same problem!
Bought the Roku Express yesterday, and can't add any channels from website (gray button "add channel"). 
Location - US. 
The same issue from my roku express - a can add some channels like netflix, youtube, but can't add rokuTV and many, many others (about 90%). 
All updates installed, connection perfect, device activated and linked.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"DeBeers" wrote:
"RokuTannerDB" wrote:

Thanks,
Tanner

Hi dude!
I Have the same problem!
Bought the Roku Express yesterday, and can't add any channels from website (gray button "add channel"). 
Location - US. 
The same issue from my roku express - a can add some channels like netflix, youtube, but can't add rokuTV and many, many others (about 90%). 

Do you have a VPN?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
DeBeers
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
"DeBeers" wrote:
"RokuTannerDB" wrote:

Thanks,
Tanner

Hi dude!
I Have the same problem!
Location - US. 

Do you have a VPN?

I think that i have not. 
I have only my standard xfinity wi-fi. 
Also, in setting there are no VPN connections.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"DeBeers" wrote:
"RokuTannerDB" wrote:

Thanks,
Tanner

Hi dude!

I Have the same problem!

Location - US. 

As mentioned elsewhere on the Forum, this is currently an issue with some Roku Express devices. Best bet is to keep trying the update. By the way, you said "latest" but that's never a good idea. You should always explicitly state the version you have, regardless of what response you get when you check for updates, in case you aren't actually getting the updates. And, while a recently obtain Express would indicate model 3900, it's still a good idea to list it, too. There have been instances where some people unknowingly purchased previous models from stores that were selling old stock as new.

But, back to the issue. Roku Express (3900) has experienced issues with installing apps. The only solution so far has been to reboot then continue to attempt to update, or do a full factory reset. As your device is new, a factory reset won't be a troublesome as someone who has a lot of apps installed.

Should you do a factory reset, don't ask it to install a bunch of apps. Keep them to a minimum, then add one at a time, should the reset work.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos