Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elerem
Level 7

Roku ultra usb mkv playback question

hello everyone i recently puchased a Roku ultra 2017 model and whenever i play mkv files there is no sound at all, i saw this is because the audio format isnt supported (ddp 5.1)

i didnt realise this version of the ultra didnt come with a optical out as that would have helped, my tv is a old full hd sony bravia and cant decode it on its own i guess nor does it have a hdmi arc. i even  bought a soundbar that suports dolby digital and dts etc but even that didnt help, i assume its because the optical out from my tv to the soundbar isnt passing the audio through as my roku ultra is connected by hdmi to my tv and whatever audio signal is passed through doesnt make it through the tv to my soundbar?????

all other audio like netflix works fine.

is there any solution to this as i bought this to play from a usb stick alot.

can anyone help?  i am at my wits end really

i live in the netherlands  and had it shipped via amazon all the way here and this problem seems so...well silly.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku ultra usb mkv playback question

You need to determine what audio codec is used in your MKV file. If it's not Dolby Digital, it most likely won't play. If it's DTS, you have to be connected directly via HDMI to an AVR or soundbar that supports that codec. If it's an HD audio track, it will never work.
If the audio is incompatible, you have a couple of choices. You can re-encode the video file to change the audio to DD, or use a DLNA server on a computer or NAS device that can transcode the audio on the fly. But lets find out what the audio is first. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
elerem
Level 7

thank you for your reply, the files are dolby digital and my soundbar supports it fully, so that isnt the problem i think. i believe its because  my tv is connected to the soundbar via optical cable and  my roku only has the hdmi to my tv connection. somewhere in my old tv the signal isnt being sent  to the soundbar because the tv doesnt recognise it. thats why i believe it was a absurd decision on rokus part to remove the optical out out of the ultra... only newer tvs have the hdmi arc(mine doesnt) and when you have a new tv you dont need the roku to play media.

if i knew it didnt have this optical out i would have looked deeper into it and gotten the old version as that would have worked better for my set up.

would a hdmi to hdmi and optical  splitter work? to pass only the video to my tv and a optical splitter line to my soundbar?

such a hassle
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I have heard of people using HDMI splitters to extract the audio and send it out optical. It is true that some TVs don't passthrough external audio via the optical out very well. You might check the audio settings in the TV and see if there's anything that might deal with audio out. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 10

You don't give model specifics so we're guessing.
Can your tv output to hdmi, and run that to soundbar?
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos