Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crowe-t
Level 7

Roku streaming player to play programs from a PC to a TV?

I recently got a Sony 4K TV and I picked up a Hauppauge HD-PVR2 to record shows in H.264 onto a PC laptop.  I edit them using VideoReDo TV Suite V5 and save them to an external hard drive.

I need a good way to play them on the TV.  I tried hooking the PC up to the TV with an HDMI cable and tried different player programs(MPC-HC x64, VLC and the windows TV & movies) but they don't play as well on the TV as they do on the laptop.  For example, there is some slight jittering when someone or something moves across the screen.

Will one of the Roku streaming sticks allow me to stream(play back) the H.264 programs from the PC's hard drive to my TV?

I'm not interested in any of the subscription services.  I only need a streaming device to play back programs from my laptop to my TV.  
0 Kudos
54 Replies
mikebdoss
Level 7

Re: Roku streaming player to play programs from a PC to a TV?

Plex is your best bet. It's a server software you install on your computer, and it will stream your video content to your Roku. It will also transcode your videos on the fly if they're in formats that aren't supported directly by the Roku. 
0 Kudos
crowe-t
Level 7

Does the Roku stick(s) come with their own software to stream from the PC?

I'm only looking for a way to stream from my PC to the TV.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"crowe-t" wrote:

Plex.. you install it on the Roku from the Roku channel store.. then you install the server software on your PC, start the server service, and connect your Plex on your roku to your PC's Plex server.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
crowe-t
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
"crowe-t" wrote:

Plex.. you install it on the Roku from the Roku channel store.. then you install the server software on your PC, start the server service, and connect your Plex on your roku to your PC's Plex server.

Will I be able to run this without any subscription?  I just looking for a way to stream from my PC to the TV.  Someone suggested I try a Roku.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

If I might jump in, and keeping in mind that my knowledge is limited, especially compared to those that have responded already. (Those guys know their stuff.)

Mr. Robot (crowe-t) said that he's already connected the PC directly to his TV and was dissatisfied with the results. On-PC was good, but via HDMI to TV was not.

Are there really reasonable scenarios where streaming from anything to Roku will be better than a direct HDMI connection from PC to TV? Assuming, of course, the HDMI cable is of good quality? Or might it be that looking at a much smaller screen, such imperfections might not be as noticeable, and no matter what, they'll show up on a big screen?

Just want to ask that. Maybe I'll get to learn something in the process.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"crowe-t" wrote:
"jeffrok" wrote:
"crowe-t" wrote:

Will I be able to run this without any subscription?  I just looking for a way to stream from my PC to the TV.  Someone suggested I try a Roku.

No, Plex is free.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
crowe-t
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:
If I might jump in, and keeping in mind that my knowledge is limited, especially compared to those that have responded already. (Those guys know their stuff.)

Mr. Robot (crowe-t) said that he's already connected the PC directly to his TV and was dissatisfied with the results. On-PC was good, but via HDMI to TV was not.

Are there really reasonable scenarios where streaming from anything to Roku will be better than a direct HDMI connection from PC to TV? Assuming, of course, the HDMI cable is of good quality? Or might it be that looking at a much smaller screen, such imperfections might not be as noticeable, and no matter what, they'll show up on a big screen?

Just want to ask that. Maybe I'll get to learn something in the process.

This is what I was thinking!  My TV is 4K and the PC is 1080P.  However when I watch something directly off my FIOS box it looks great and it's native 1080P.  When I record it(in 1080) and play it on one of the media players on my PC it looks good.  I connected the PC to my TV with HDMI and was told to select the 'Graphics' picture mode and it doesn't look as good.
As DB Dukes said above, will streaming with a Roku give better results than a direct HDMI connection from PC to TV?  Possibly the Roku does this better since it is a streaming device and not just a PC connected to the TV.
0 Kudos
crowe-t
Level 7

Someone suggested using an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV stick and using Kodi.  Will the Roku do a better job or be a better option for streaming from the PC to the TV?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"crowe-t" wrote:
... will streaming with a Roku give better results than a direct HDMI connection from PC to TV?  Possibly the Roku does this better since it is a streaming device and not just a PC connected to the TV.

I wasn't singling out Roku with my question. I have my doubts that any device would do better than a direct connection from PC to TV. But I defer to the experts. I'm very curious as to whether they think any device would do a better job. If a non-Roku device did better, they'd say so. They are fans of Roku, but they'll tell it straight.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos