Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku streaming Dish Network?

I'm new to Roku, so please bare with me. Like most people we were on a quest to lower our monthly cable bill. We had Spectrum cable for $185/month for four TVs. So we decided to go with Dish Network with one Hopper 3. My question is, can we use Rokus on the three other TVs to stream Dish Network to those rooms? Sorry for the novice question but this is all new to me, thanks!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku streaming Dish Network?

Dish Network doesn't have an app like some cable services, so Roku won't do that.

However...

Dish Network can be used to authenticate against apps. For example, if your Dish service has ESPN, you can use it to authenticate the ESPN app. Same for many of the other channels that are in your Dish Network package. Whether or not you can watch live will vary from app to app.

There's more on the Dish Network Website about using a Roku with your Dish Network account: https://www.dish.com/availability/ways-to-watch/streaming-sticks#roku
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

There is another option, but it involves dropping Dish Network.

There are streaming services such as DirecTV Now, Sling TV, Philo, Playstation Vue, Hulu with Live TV, that are essentially small cable packages that do offer live streaming content. Hulu has a single package, Philo and Sling TV have two packages, others more. They all offer premium add-ons (except Philo).

If you're locked in to a long-term contract with Dish Network, this probably isn't a viable option. However, if you're month-to-month with them, these may be what you're actually looking for.

More about those services here.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"DBDukes" wrote:
... However, if you're month-to-month with them, these may be what you're actually looking for.

More about those services here.

Add to this that most of those services offer from one week to 30 days free trial, so if it sounds like the way you want to go, you can try them out without dropping Dish Network. If they service the purpose, you've done what you wanted. If not, cancel before they bill you and you're out no money.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
richeydog
Level 7

"68dodgeramman" wrote:
I'm new to Roku, so please bare with me. Like most people we were on a quest to lower our monthly cable bill. We had Spectrum cable for $185/month for four TVs. So we decided to go with Dish Network with one Hopper 3. My question is, can we use Rokus on the three other TVs to stream Dish Network to those rooms? Sorry for the novice question but this is all new to me, thanks!

Yes, sort of. You'll need an amazon fire tv stick but you'll be limited to one stream at time. https://www.mydish.com/dish-anywhere/fire-tv

Have you considered installing joeys to the other rooms?
0 Kudos
T_J
Level 7

If your contract is up with Dish Satellite, you could switch to Sling TV (which is ran by Dish Sat.). $20 Sling Orange (which includes ESPN channels, etc.) only allows 1 stream at once. $25 Sling Blue (which includes FS1, FS2, NBCSN, Fox Sports regional, etc.) allows 3 streams at once. I currently have Sling Blue (3 streams) which has nice channel selections; and Netflix SD which is $7.99 for one stream. So I have 4 streams total of Sling + Netflix.

You could test Sling with a 7-day free trial, and stream it on your computer, phone, tablet, etc., and not buy a Roku until you think you might like Sling. I would not buy four Rokus at one time, you might not like the experience, or you might like it (?). While I watch Sling with my Premiere+ or Roku 2 (4210) most of the time, I'm watching Sling right now on my Windows 10 desktop & 21.5" monitor, while I'm typing this. 
0 Kudos
Geegorebel
Level 7

My dish use connect with my apps why is not working doesn’t Roku give us that option any more
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

For more help with your issue, please see our Tips for Creating a Help or Support Topic in the Community. Including important details in your issue report helps us better understand the specific issue you are reporting.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos