Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QuestionsaboutR
Level 8

Roku stops playing channel when switch between sources, (Roku to TV etc)

I am at a loss: I am having an issue that when I start playing content on a Roku channel and then switch to watch something on my OTA antenna the roku stops streaming that channel after some period of time, minute or two.

If I want to switch between watching a game on Fox, or espn etc via my roku, and also switch to watch a game over the air check scores when I go back to the Roku the channel, whichever it may be stops playing as if I have exited the channel.

Here is a description of my setup.

All devices are running thru a Denon 1713 AVR Receiver:

Roku Premiere connected to HDMI 1 (for example)

Over Air Antenna is connected to an external TV tuner, Homeworx Tuner, that is connected to Denon HDMI 2 (for example)

TV is connected to receiver (sources) Via HDMI out on Denon.

HDMI control is disabled

When changing sources all that needs to happen is chose different source on the Denon Receiver switch between HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 (for example). The HDMI input on the TV never changes.

I have no idea why the Roku stops streaming whatever it is playing, regardless of whatever channel it is on. I dont know if it recognizes that the source was switched or what. It doesnt happen instantly but will stop after a couple minutes. When watching solely on the Roku it never stops. Only when I change sources to watch a bit of the different game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Roku stops playing channel when switch between sources, (Roku to TV etc)

Since you mention an external OTA tuner, I'm guessing you are using some sort of display that does not have its own OTA tuner. Otherwise, I could see using picture in picture to check the OTA channel. Although PiP seems to be a rather uncommon feature any more. 

Even through you have HDMI control turned off, I'm guessing that the Roku is still sensing that it is no longer the active input and is stopping playback. Again, this is what many users want to happen, so your use case seems to be something different. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
QuestionsaboutR
Level 8

No the

tv is a tv and has a tuner.  I use the external tuner to record and pause live tv. Regardless of the device in the other sources, tv, chromecast, dvd player, I don't see why the Roku would stop. I want this so that I can toggle between games from tv to Roku and back to tv etc without having to reload the channel on the Roku. Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Nah, I can't think of anything in particular. Something is triggering the player to stop playback, and without knowing exactly what was the cause, I can't guess on what might alter the function. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
QuestionsaboutR
Level 8

Well thank you for getting back. I'll post if I come up w...

Well thank you for getting back. I'll post if I come up with a solution.

Have a good one.

0 Kudos