Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roku self adding channels, rating 5 stars & removing

Jump to solution

Today I have seen my Roku Ultra add three channels, rate them each 5 stars and remove them.  Like someone had control of my remote.  It was like watching someone remotely fixing your computer.  I am the only person here and my remote was on the table next to me.  Disturbing & creepy AF.

I don't know what the first two were but the third one was Antique Cinema, which I cannot find in the Channel Store.

Has anyone else had this happen?  Any ideas on how to make it stop? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Roku self adding channels, rating 5 stars & removing

Jump to solution

Well, since I am the only person here, it is pretty much impossible for someone else to be using the remote that was right next to me so no.  I found the issue.  I had a ROKU remote app on one of my phones that I had never used & I later realized I had used it earlier in the day when couch ate remote.  Once I used it, it started having its own party.  I uninstalled it and party over.  I put the real ROKU remote app on that phone so problem solved.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@NoirAngelique Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like someone may have been using either the Roku mobile app's remote function, or another Roku remote to control your device. I would recommend disabling 'Network access' for mobile apps in Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Network access to prevent anyone from using the Roku mobile app with your device. Other than using another Roku remote, this would be the only other way to control a Roku device such as you described. Please let us know if you have any other questions here. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Well, since I am the only person here, it is pretty much impossible for someone else to be using the remote that was right next to me so no.  I found the issue.  I had a ROKU remote app on one of my phones that I had never used & I later realized I had used it earlier in the day when couch ate remote.  Once I used it, it started having its own party.  I uninstalled it and party over.  I put the real ROKU remote app on that phone so problem solved.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

I could be wrong, but this sounds to me like some scumbag created a Roku remote app so that he can take control of unsuspecting people's Rokus, add his own channels, and give them 5 star ratings.  Pretty slick if that's what happening, but also pretty sleazy.  What was the app?

0 Kudos