Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zoo42

Roku says History Channel is included, but cannot get it

Jump to solution

I saw that History Channel is included with Roku.  When I went to add it, I got the activation code, entered it, but in the last steps, I needed a TV Provider.  I no longer have a TV provider so could not add history which is disappointing. 

When I setup Roku I did have a TV Provider (Xfinity) but I cancelled Xfinity a couple months ago.  Is that the issue?  Do I need to tell Roku I don't have that provider anymore?

Or is it something else?  It has happened with other channels so that's what makes me think I have to tell Roku I DO NOT HAVE A TV PROVIDER anymore, so I can then get the Roku channels I am supposed to have.

Help welcomed!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku says History Channel is included, but cannot get it

Jump to solution

@Zoo42 wrote:

I saw that History Channel is included with Roku. 

No channel is "included" with a Roku purchase. You could say that The Roku Channel is included, and while it does offer access to some paid providers those all require a subscription.

Some channels (such as History) are only available if you have a TV provider of some sort. That provider could be cable, satellite, or one of several online providers, such as YouTube TV, Fubo or Sling TV. But those all require a subscription as well. That said, I believe that History does offer a limited about of content without subscribing, but limited is the operative word. 

What is available on Roku are thousands of channels that can be installed. Many channels are free, but in general those include ads. You can install almost any channel for free, but to actually use them you have to be an authorized user. A number of providers offer a free trial, but it still requires creating a subscription with them, along with a payment method. They hope you are happy enough with the service and don't bother cancelling within the free trial period.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

Zoo42

Jump to solution

Thx Dan,

I'm new to Roku as if you couldn't tell.  But I read that History Channel is available to Roku users.  It's just disappointing that I thought I could access History.  (Dying to see the new Alone episodes.)

Your answer is helpful.

A.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

My parents used to have Xfinity between 2013-2020, and since the latter year they no longer have it either.  So we’ve changed our TV provider name on our smartphone settings to Hulu, providing that Hulu on current streaming players has Live TV capability now.  I’d suggest changing your TV provider name on your smartphone settings (well if you have a smartphone) to whatever Live TV service you have, and see if that will fix the issue.
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

When you first create a Roku account, Roku asks if you have a TV provider so they can automatically download some apps that may be useful to you as a TV provider customer.  Once the TV provider is eliminated, (and if you don’t plan to add another TV provider) then many of those apps can simply be deleted as they won’t be useful to you anymore.

Or to put it another way: content providers want to be paid and they have many different business models.  Some only want to do business with you (that is – accept money from you) via a TV provider.  Many traditional “cable channels” are still in this mindset. 

atc98092

Jump to solution

@Zoo42 wrote:

I saw that History Channel is included with Roku. 

No channel is "included" with a Roku purchase. You could say that The Roku Channel is included, and while it does offer access to some paid providers those all require a subscription.

Some channels (such as History) are only available if you have a TV provider of some sort. That provider could be cable, satellite, or one of several online providers, such as YouTube TV, Fubo or Sling TV. But those all require a subscription as well. That said, I believe that History does offer a limited about of content without subscribing, but limited is the operative word. 

What is available on Roku are thousands of channels that can be installed. Many channels are free, but in general those include ads. You can install almost any channel for free, but to actually use them you have to be an authorized user. A number of providers offer a free trial, but it still requires creating a subscription with them, along with a payment method. They hope you are happy enough with the service and don't bother cancelling within the free trial period.

Dan

Zoo42

Jump to solution

Thx Jordan.  I don't have Hulu live tv. 

But thanks for the idea!

A

0 Kudos
Zoo42

Jump to solution

Thx Dan,

I'm new to Roku as if you couldn't tell.  But I read that History Channel is available to Roku users.  It's just disappointing that I thought I could access History.  (Dying to see the new Alone episodes.)

Your answer is helpful.

A.

karenh2

What is "given" in a ROku sibscription--access to everything on the ROku channel WITHOUT any ads?

Jump to solution

How do I post a question?

Does a subscription (offered last night for $69,99 annually rather than $99.00) on Roku give me access--without ads--to all that is offered on Roku?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: What is "given" in a Roku subscription--access to everything on the Roku channel WITHO

Jump to solution

@karenh2 there is no subscription for The Roku Channel, or anything else to do with Roku itself. If someone is offering you a ad-free subscription to TRC, they are trying to scam you. 

Dan